NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Jig head question

855 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bill 
As always conditions which include depth,wind,type of surf, and available bait are going to help you make a decision of what your going to throw. 5/0-6/0 hooks are certainly no too big. On the other hand you may not need to go that heavy depending on what type of conditions you have. Avoid throwing your jig into a wave. Pick your casts and try to get behind the wave. This will prevent your jig from getting washed around. For some reason a lot of people think you have to bounce your jig or bucktail along the bottom. Again Conditions. If your fishing a place where there is heavy surf-or a rocky bottom-chances are you will not be able to bounce it off the bottom. A fast retrive speed will keep you near the top.Thats the beauty of jigs -any where any depth! Also always maintain contact with your jig. If it gets swept by a wave reel faster to keep in contact with it. Hope this was of some help.
Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

Most guys use a snap and some a loop knot. I tie direct.I have had snaps open up and lost fish. I don't care for loop knots because the back and forth motion of the plug wears down the loop.HAd them break also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.