NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The airline regulations on fishing tackles and fish on an airplane has been getting tougher and tougher every year since 911.
But I never expect they don't allow fish in a cooler which happened when I check in my cooler at check-in counter of Jet Blue of Fort Myers. I had only frozen 3 - 4 pound grouper in the cooler with clothes and tackles. When the lady didn't allow my fish, I asked her to see the regulations. You can see the copy of the regulations she printed out below. She insisted that the fish was not packed professionally and my packing was not regarded as professional packing. I didn't wash the fillet of the fish,, cleand the fish with paper towel, put in the zip lock back, put some papers below the fish and put in paper bag and also in vinyl bag again. But she didn't care because it was not packed by a professional.:rolleyes:
So I asked to see a supervisor and he has the same thought with her !
He said I have been just lucky to be allowed fish in a cooler in the past as the regulations are not new and all other airlines have the same regulations.
Try to avoid to fly on Jet Blue to Fort Myers if you want to bring fish with you.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Kil, Jet Blue tried the same with us in San Diego a couple of years ago coming back from a Midriffs trip.
They wanted professional packaging for the fish or it couldn't come on the plane.
I just said, yes, they were packaged by a professional :)
gave them a stern look and the coolers made it on board after much fanfare by the customer service manager.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of what exactly constitutes professional packaging?

My folks now live in that area and I'm curious in case I ever want to take any fish back north.

Hopefully, Continental is nicer than Jet Blue in this regard.

This post edited by SeaSickMike 08:21 PM 12/25/2007

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Next Time Try

And Smuggle Some Narcotics - You might have a better chance (LOL)

Actually since my 44 Hour trip on Viking in Tarpon Springs is comeing up I think I will bring my Food Saver Vacume Sealer as a carry on and Vacume Seal fish so I can say they were professionally packed JUST IN CASE

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Fishark531 wrote:
And Smuggle Some Narcotics - You might have a better chance (LOL)

Actually since my 44 Hour trip on Viking in Tarpon Springs is comeing up I think I will bring my Food Saver Vacume Sealer as a carry on and Vacume Seal fish so I can say they were professionally packed JUST IN CASE

Why take the chance of having the fish confiscated even if it is vacuum sealed? :confused: Might be better off contacting FedEx or DHL to see what the shipping costs would be. If your going to spend money between flying and going out on the boat, it might be better to spend a little more and guarantee you are able to get your fish to your final destination. JMHO

Or you could just stuff it down Shebeen's skivvies and see what happens.
:)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Don't They Have Anything More To Worry about ?

Shipping fish via Fed Ex is a

RIP OFF

The whole point of going on a long distance trip with only a carry on is too take advantage of the 2 bag limit. When I went to Alaska I brought back 100 Lbs of Halibut Fillets as luggage. Shipping via Fed Ex would have been close to $ 500.00

Maybe they wanted your fish (LOL)

The bottom line is the agent was a ball buster.

This post edited by Fishark531 09:36 PM 12/25/2007

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
The times they are a changing..... and not for the better

Shark, I'm not looking to argue. In days gone by, I would load up a cooler with fresh Hawaiian fish and other delicacies from the Islands on my trips back East and use the cooler to bring back items I can't get out here (Hebrew National hot dogs, good NY pizza and Italian bread)
. These days I don't even bother, to much hassle.
It sucks but that's the new modern reality. Now if I want some of those items, I just order them on the internet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Airlines

Vacuum pack the fish/fillets and claimed they were pack by pros at the docks. I always v/p my fish when travling airlines and have had no problems yet but then again, I don't fly JetBlue...What is JetBlue???

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gaucho wrote:
So Kilsong, what was the outcome? Did they allow you to continue on with the fish after the manager came or did they keep to their policy. No. I intended to bring fish in a carry-on bag after they disallowed the fish in check-in cooler, but I gave up the plan and gave the fish a lady working at the terminal as the plane was delayed.

I don't think I ever saw "professionally packaged and leak proof" phrase on any other airline regulations except Jet Blue's.
There are not many places easily available to pack fish professionally unless you go to San Diego for long range trips, British Columbia or Alaska.

This post edited by KILSONG 09:54 AM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Rules, rules and more rules.......

Got this tonight:

Dear CheapTickets traveler,

Here at CheapTickets Customer Care, we're always keeping an eye on news that may affect your travel experience. We wanted to let you know about a new federal law that bans spare lithium batteries in checked baggage.

Effective January 1, 2008, air travelers will be required to keep all spare lithium batteries in carry-on baggage, with the terminals covered. For more details, please visit the Department of Transportation's Safe Travel Web site at http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html.

Thanks for traveling with CheapTickets. Have a good trip.

Sincerely,
CheapTickets Customer Care

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
I never seen or heard of that rule myself.
I will ask a coworker that works PT at the Jetblue terminal in JFK as a TSA supervisor about that rule tomorrow. What BS. Not to long ago I was flying from Jacksonville to NY and in my carry on (I FORGOT...(yes I DID)was 3 cigar cutters. Never once was i questioned. Ok how much damage could I have done with them???I just feel the problem is not really fixed. ANd they nit pick stupid stuff like this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
IT's A JOKE!!!

There's no consistency from one airport to the next or screener. I've been allowed to fly with certain items from one city but not others. The smaller airports seem extremely vigilant compared to the large ones.

I once was not allowed to carry-on a personal grooming kit because it's box(holder) was stainless steel. None of the items inside had sharp edges but they were so concerned over the container they were in. I really laughed my a$$ of that day which probably didn't help matters. At least they gave me a small box to put it in. Meanwhile I had taken it on at least 5 other trips with no issues prior to that.

We're getting screwed by personal opinions of what should be allowed or not allowed. Kilsong's experience is perfect evidence of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.