NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Al,

Going this sunday May 5th to shine**** on the Star, 7-11am trip. Looked at review in local mag for last year on shine**** and noticed the action started about 2 weeks from now with nice 4-5 pounders.

Since people are saying that the season is 2 weeks ahead of last year I may hit it nice....added bonus will be the weakfish and bass in the area. The star usually will drift the inlet for bass for about an hour during the trip with clams.....

due to time contraints I dont think I am hitting the best tide......

Clams for bass and squid strip and spearing for fluke/weakfish....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Flukes

Hey Crazy,

Long time no see. Did some good chunking mid April. Was in your hood last time out- Zippo. Looking for weaks next time out.

If I had time for a fluke trip, I'd fish a whole squid (WeeWee) or a big mackerel fillet in the Peconic area.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gottog wrote,
[bBAH!!! We here in NJ have to wait a couple of weeks ;( Sad as some really nice flatties have been caught and released on bunker chunks. [/B]

Fishweewee wrote,
Kooky One, I'm gonna be harvesting a ton of whole fresh squid this weekend just for those little flatties. Wish me rotsa ruck. [/B]

The Lenman wrote:
Going this sunday May 5th to shine**** on the Star, 7-11am trip. Looked at review in local mag for last year on shine**** and noticed the action started about 2 weeks from now with nice 4-5 pounders. Since people are saying that the season is 2 weeks ahead of last year I may hit it nice....added bonus will be the weakfish and bass in the area. The star usually will drift the inlet for bass for about an hour during the trip with clams..... due to time contraints I dont think I am hitting the best tide...... [/B]

You are absolutely right! According to my logbook… Shinne**** has been one of the prime fluke spots with weakfish in the mix! However, I don't believe the Shinne**** Star will be clam drifting for bass because the season is closed until May 8th! ;)

Please send my regards to Capt. John and Neil for me and good fishing!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Al,

Where are you fishing today???????????

Could not pass up opening morning on the Shinne**** Star. Thank goodness we have boots and skins!!!!

Caught 22 fluke on my new bucktail rod. Kept 4 for the dinner table. 2 or 3 were just at 17", let them go. The rest were 16 to just under 17"s.

This 6' Impact blank/rod is sooo sweet.

Gotta go back tomorrow morning!!!!!!!

Capt Neil

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bucktail wrote:
When yer out fluking using squid, sand eels or any other store bought bait, don't ferget that COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN have helped you have a nice day.Thank them when you see them.…

Capt. Neil wrote:
Where are you fishing today? Could not pass up opening morning on the Shinne**** Star. Thank goodness we have boots and skins!!!! Caught 22 fluke on my new bucktail rod. Kept 4 for the dinner table. 2 or 3 were just at 17", let them go. The rest were 16 to just under 17"s.
This 6' Impact blank/rod is sooo sweet.

Hiya Capt. Neil,

Thanks for the report! Where was I? Geee…. I was fishing all night (flycasting for bass & searching for weakies) and next thing I knew… I lost track of time. ;)

Also, If you keep talking about that beautiful 6' Impact rod of yours - I may have to go there and snatch it from ya. :)

MakoMike wrote:
I'm not going to be able to fish for while yet. But if I could I'd fish the south side with Smelt and a squid strip.

BD001 wrote:
Fished Greenport opening day AM (too windy out at the Lawns). Had five nice fish up to 5lbs and several shorts. Weather sucked but rather be there than in the office. Hope the weekend is better.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
I chose to be on the James Joseph out of Huntington for opening day. It was awesome, many limited out and there was a 11lb 7oz fish caught on a green teaser rig available on the boat. Today was a little slower due to the wind but it was sitll a good day. Come and check it out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Opening day on the west end was nice!3 keepers 11 shorts most 16.5in.Bullets,bullets,bullets,and lite tackle.I have to try that N.shore Capt James,i heard they fish the way i like it Shallow,lite tackle,bullets,yea baby.......

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Lenman,

Yesterday I did well on the Shinne**** Star using a silver bullet (green eye) with a green teaser attached tipped with spearing. About 14" above on a dropper loop I had a white teaser with red head tipped with squid.

Both worked.

Today, those rigs did not produce. I finally used a lime/white fuzzy grub and caught fish.

Pink fuzzy grubs were the ticket today.

Tomorrow----who knows what will work best. Just keep trying different things.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Al,
Fluke season in NJ doesn't open up till the 18th. I'll probably fish Raritan Bay that weekend and see what my luck will hold.
I've seen quite a few boats drifting on the NY side of the bay near S.I.
Haven't heard any reports yet, but know of some cdaught while people were out dunkin n chunkin.

My favorite technigues for fluke are either bucktail'n or fishing a live snapper blue. Guess until the snappers show up, I'll be bucktailing or fishing a killie(or spearing) and squid(or fluke belly) combo bait.

So, Al, how have ya made out with the fluke so far?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi folks,

This past Friday I received several messages regarding big doormats (12 & 13 lbs.) from the Cold Spring Harbor grounds. Next day (Sat.) Rich from R&G Bait & Tackle and I fished with several friends (Ed & George) on the KING FISHER (Capt. Herb Hahn) for a few hours and tallied 16 keepers ranging from 3-4 ½ lbs. with lots of throwbacks.

Most fish were culled on bucktails and plastic jigs tipped with spearing or sandeels.
We also used the standard fluke rig (simple rigs) and the bullet… but the plastic jigs did most of the damages.

On the Orient Pt. (Greenlawn) grounds, my buddy (Rod guru) Al Goldberg fished on the Nancy Ann (Capt. Richie Jensen) and had a decent pick of fish. Most fish ranged from 2-4lbs. By the end of the turning tide… the pool winner (Dr. Dan O'Keefe) pulled an impressive 7 ½ lbs on a simple fluke rig tipped with a single spearing.

All in all… it appears that the weekend boat traffic (noise) kept most of the big fish down…. but I am sure before this week is over, a few impressive doormats will be reported. :)

Just wondering… How did you do?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.