NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the new " Marked " wire reliable?. Looks like it was marked every 50 feet with some kind of composite.Saw it in the shop, what a great idea. All of my wire line the marks always fall off, or gets caught up in the roller top. Has anyone used the stuff yet?

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Rooster

Hi,

We need the help of others on this one. Not being a wire fisherman I can't help. Sounds like a good idea.

I do have a troll and a bunker spoon rods that need testing and appraisal if you are ever interested.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
322 Posts
Marked Wire

Yes, the marked wire works well. Give you a decent idea of how deep you are. I use wire marked every 50 feet, Red, White then Blue. Easy to remember that way.

Some marked is better than others as far as the tape/wrap used. A good Bait/Tackle shop should know how to do it and make sure it's not too big to get caught up in your guides.

John from Madison, CT

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, this is the deal. Marlin has a
" Pre Marked " line on the market.

I just bought the stuff, its marked every 50 feet. It was in my local shop for $17.99 for 300/50lb @40lb.

I will use, and post a report on how it holds up, as we all know..the guides start out perfect, weeks later...one gone, two gone..next thing your markerless.

I see by the views, Im not alone with this problem.

I fish wire on private boat, 4 or more times a week, looking forward to this everending problem.

Thanks for all your help...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CaptNiel,

Feel free to E-mail, I would like to try some new ideas with deep water trolling rods.

I had built this year, two Altenkirk with carbide guides 7ft, aftco butts, use Penn 113 H/S. Very typical setup.

Despite the fact that wire is not as sporting, it does produce fish. Off of Montauk, with the ledges at 29, to 44 feet..with tremendous currents, I have found wire to be the solution, for pulling fish up, appears to be the only way off of Montauk, other than live bait.

We should go out someday, or I will try some new ideas, and rods.

There must be an answer. I even rembemer a article in the other mag, about braid being used to go deep, tried this but could not get down. I think that I have to get a huge spool of Power Pro 50, put on like 600..I figure it was 5 feet for every 100, gave up in the middle of the experiment.

Do you have any ideas?, or any of your viewers?

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Rooster

Hi,

I have a demo umbrella rig rod that is 7' 2". It has a slick butt and Fugi SIC guides. Pretty stiff.

The Bunker Spoon rod is 8' 2". It also has a slick butt and SIC (Silicon Carbide) guides.

Both of these rods are Lamiglas fiberglas.

I am toying with the idea of building a simular bunker spoon rod BUT installing the guides 'Spiral Wrapped". Should make a very stable rod in the rod holders and very little torque on the blank, guides and reel seat.

If you would like to try either or both rods Give me a call. (631) 567-8049.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt. Neil:

Have used, bought..and concluded that the new " marked " wire is a reliable, good product.

Marlin put's it out, it comes in 40 lb test..and 50 lb. The guides are little plastic marks, that dont move, slide or otherwise.

It comes in 300 ft lengths, good for almost all of your readers. I actually perfer 400 ft ( I use a swivel to connect the extra 100 ft ), to hit 35 to 38 ft ledges off Montauk. But for all who use wire, a solution has arrived for this nagging problem.

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Hi Rooster.

Thanks for the report.

Does the product come in both monel and stainless?

Does the markings slide thru the guides easily. Will it wear a groove in the guides?

How many times have you used it and are their any signs of the markings wearing off?

Sorry for all the questions. I was just trying to ask questions other people might be interested in.

Thanks again.

The offer to stedt the bunker spoon or umbrella rig rod is always there.

Capt Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.