NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing with a few of my fishing buddies a topic came up about structure.A friend of mine,who is rather knowledgable about fishing claims that Temperature is structure. I was the only one who differed with him.I always beleived structure to be something of substance(such as a rockpile,weeds,wrecks,bottom drop offs,or even a floating pallet etc.) I know temperature is an important factor while fishing especially offshore but I would'nt consider it to be of a tangible form. If temperature is structure then I guess depth would have to be considered as structure also. What do you guy's think? Are we really constantly fishing on structure?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Marco:

You are correct- structure is what you think it is. Temperature breaks have an effect similar to structure, in that they hold fish. Cold water is denser then warm water, and creates an invisible barrier that fish will hold to. Cold water also holds more oxygen and plankton- so pelagic fish that prefer warmer water will congregate along the temperature breaks and feed upon baitfish, which also congregate there to feed on plankton.
A thermocline is similar to a temperature break, but occurs within the vertical water column, not at the surface.

Hope this helps- Bill

G

·
I guess you could call it whatever you want to but
THIS MUCH I KNOW:

"Whenever you find good temperature breaks OVER good structure...thats the place to fish!"

Maury "Raven"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.