NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was fishing for striped bass and bluefish. The day I was fishing for them,it was very windy. I was using a Hopkins Shorty and I caught a few fish. The guy who was fishing next to me was using an Iron Man lure. He caught more fish and cast farther than me. He was able to get right in front, next to, or on top of the bluefish and bass. I have a hard time reaching them. I was running like a cheetah back and forth chasing fish.

I checked out his lure. I have never saw anyone use this lure before. I am getting one in 2 days to try it out. Check back in 4 days for reply on this new lure. Does anyone use this lure too?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got time to test out this lure. I didnt caught any big fish but I got a few bass range from 26"-41". I threw all of them back. I kept a 24" Fluke that took this lure. I got many Blues hitting it. I was fishing on a very windy day and lots of rain. I cast out and it went far out like 90 yards. I let the lure sink to bottom and reel very slow in.

I caught a crab trap, an old bicycle, and lots of old fishing line.
I hope I catch a tuna next time I fish the surf. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been trying to catch fish surfcasting. Last week two friends and I went to South beach in Fallmouth area. Bait shop in Sandwich on rte 130 said wont have much luck for stripers...to many bluefish around, so we said let's get some blues. We used 2 types of bait herring and squid, also bought lures. Tried everything 1hr. before high tide and several hours after high tide...not even a bite. We then headed for the canal for an hour or so with same luck..none! Heading up to Plum Island Fri. the 7th for nite fishing. 7:00 pm through high tide till whenever. Any suggestions. I'll write back next week with hopefully a good story.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Halesite, I got my lure from local tackle shop. I got the one that is blue and chrome. The lure is about 4oz., 5" inches, treble hook.

Sandman1, did you tried lures? If you did, you would probably catch Bluefish during the day. The best time for Striper is before the sun is up and after sunset. The time of day, the right tide, the correct temperature, and wind condition is important. Did you tried bunker? A whole herring or squid? I like to use lures during the day and bait for bass at night. I have caught 34"+ stripers at noon. That day was very cloudy and lots of fog.

I will give you a big tip. When you got no live bait try to use anything that swims. Like a live snapper blue or herring or shad. Recently I have luck using live anchovies on Stripers. I am very good in catching Blues.

Bass are very unpredictable fish. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use the Iron Man 2 jigs in chrome for bass, blues, false albacore and bonito.

We don't see that style of jig here since they're from the West Coast; built for everything from inshore bass & halibut to offshore tuna and wahoo. Well made with more side-to-side than wobble action. The Iron Man 2 is a good sized jig, about two and a half ounces; most good casters should be able to toss it pretty far and it gets down fast. They also make heavier jigs for bottom fishing. There are similar jigs made by Salas, Tady, Sumo, Kicker and Raider in just about every color combo imaginable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friends and I are Pikers as far as experience surfcasting goes. But you don't have to be successful to be addicted to the pounding of the waves on shore, not to mention leaving the wife at home.We tried last week at the cape with no luck. Trying again for stripers or bluefish Friday night at Plum Island 7:00P.M. through high tide till whenever.We will be using Herring and squid both frozen,and any lures that might help.Is live bait the way to go? I found 3 lures on shore at the Cape with teeth marks in them so I'm sure they worked once.We have caught schoolies and a couple keepers last year but let them all go. What a riot.Heard reports of fishing to be good there, but I hear that at every bait shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sandman2, Are you the same guy as Sandman1? I think that you were trying down at the Cape. I fished the South Cape beach and lost a few lures there, the one I really liked was the bomber it was green and I like to take the front hooks out. Did you happen to see it? I will be heading to Plum Island this weekend, but we use clam, it has produced better than squid. Have fun maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where did you get the live bait? Is it on the North Shore or close to Crab Meadow Beach? DO you know what is the most effective live bait, dead bait, and lures for blues along with how far out they were, the weight, the test line, and the size of the bait and the blue caught?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.