NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like our friends are getting a little fiesty.

Iranian Navy "Threatening Maneuvers

"A radio transmission from one of the Iranian ships said, "I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes," CNN reported, citing a U.S. official."

Those Iranians were lucky. The second I heard such a transmission by a craft headed at me I would have ordered them blown straight out of the water.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
Its only a matter of time before someone crosses the line and there are hositlities.

You are right Mike and then the $3.25 per gallon price for gas will be a distant memory.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
....a very distant and very fond memory.

Unfortunately with these guys taunting US warships the investiable will happen.

I just can't believe how much b*lls those Iranian gun boats have.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
they should just drop a big bomb that wipes out that place,that president is an a**hole,he said it was a gift to the british people when they released there soldiers,a gift my a**

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
The USS Port Royal is an Aegis cruiser, same type of ship as the USS Vincennes, which shot down Iran Air 655 twenty years ago.

The attack on the USS Stark killing 37 US sailors in 1987 no doubt put the Vincennes crew on edge. I'm not sure how that civilian airliner could have been shot down if its transponder was operational.

But I wouldn't keep challenging the Aegis weapons system.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
fish4me wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
Its only a matter of time before someone crosses the line and there are hositlities.

You are right Mike and then the $3.25 per gallon price for gas will be a distant memory.

or maybe it will force us to take hydrogen and other alternative fuel sources seriously...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Likeitreally is....hopefully that will be the case. We have many options for alternative energy to explore.

I have a friend who works on the Aegis weapons system....he tells me some amazing stuff about its capabilities. I just don't think its very effective against patrol boats...but thats nothing a good ole fashioned 50 cal can't handle.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I don't want to divert the discussion into an alternative fuels discussion, but the "problem" right now with alternative fuels is that oil is "too cheap". All of the alternatives caost more per unit of power than petroleum derivatives.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I could be wrong but this am I thought I heard on the bloomberg report that future contracts were being set for next year this time at 200 per barrrel. Anyone else hear this ??

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
?Oil is too cheap?

MakoMike wrote:
I don't want to divert the discussion into an alternative fuels discussion, but the "problem" right now with alternative fuels is that oil is "too cheap". All of the alternatives caost more per unit of power than petroleum derivatives.

Sounds like you?ve finally come around, Mike.
I will have to bump up an older thread where you argued exactly the opposite.

·
Registered
716 Posts
slaterock wrote:
I could be wrong but this am I thought I heard on the bloomberg report that future contracts were being set for next year this time at 200 per barrrel. Anyone else hear this ??

Bloomberg had a story about open interest in options on oil with a strike price of $200. Basically, there's a "10 fold" increase in activity - someone is buying way out of the money calls in a leveraged bet that oil moves higher...

Here's the story

Story On $200 Oil Options

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mako Mike is not 100% right. He's 150% right!!! The problem is not that oil is too expensive- the problem is that it's too cheap relative to the alternatives. People are still buying big SUVs. People are still driving the same as when gas was 1.85 a gallon. Who's going to use their boat less this spring when gas is $4.00 a gallon? Not me-I'm counting the days until my boat goes back in the water! And don't think it's going to get any better because it's not. Why should'nt the oil companies charge$3 50 a gallon for gas if we're willing to pay for it? And we are!!!!! When I was a kid and I went to the auto show they talked about fuel cells. They said they were 20 years away. Here we are 30 odd years later and they're still 20 years away. What a bunch of crap. The auto companies and the oil companies won't make the switch to alternative fuels until either the price of oil impacts their profits or they suck the last drop of oil out of the earth. As for those Iranian gunboats they should've blown them right out of the water. What are we waiting for? Another USS Cole? Shoot first. Apologies can be given later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.