NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have fished sharks offshore quite a bit and have fished all the well known spots linda, coimbra,compass rose etc. but i was wondering if anyone has experimented with sharking a little closer to home and if so how have you done just curios to see if i can conserve on fuel while still introducing some of my friends to sharking but i dont want to venture too far off with an inexperienced crew especially if mr.mako comes knocking i just want to show them the ropes on blue sharks any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
inshore Sharkin

We will usually only fish the offshore wrecks earlier in the season, but in late july and august there seem to be many makos on the 20 fm fingers. Some inshore (like 20fm) wrecks will probably hold threshers as well. The makos in the past late summer seemed pretty small though, like <120lbs

·
Registered
826 Posts
I rarely fish offshore waters past 40 miles for sharks.

We got many fish right at the barnegat ridge last year which is only 16nm to the drop off on the corner. We also got some threshers near the bunker pods along the beach and just offshore about 15 miles. If you find a school snag some bunker and drop them down. Believe it or not it is threshers underneath them!!

I would do the same as offshore maybe use a little smaller bait if you prefer but i got a 250lber last year at the ridge on a whole frozen bluefish with rigamortus! lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Blue Sharks

If you just want to give them action on blues I would suggest the 25-30 fathom areas. If they can sit it out and hope for one bite (mako/thresher) then the 20 fathom areas do produce. You just wont get as much blue shark action in closer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I ran to the east of FI inlet this past september to the area around the oregon, wind was blowing ESE that day. 11 miles from the lighthouse we hooked a mako 135#. The lighthouse looked really close. As a matter a fact just a few miles away one of the captree boats we passed was ocean fluking.

·
Administrator
112,303 Posts
people would be amazed if they how many bid sharks were cought close to shore my buddy cought what would of been a record thresher 9 mls off moriches inlet

·
Registered
256 Posts
canyonfvr wrote:
people would be amazed if they how many bid sharks were cought close to shore my buddy cought what would of been a record thresher 9 mls off moriches inlet

yea but 9 miles off of Moriches = 29 miles off of Jones.

Ah...moriches

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Good sharkin around the 20 fathom line as others have mentioned. However, blue sharks are a pelagic species and though have been occasionally spotted inshore...they are usually found in the deep blue.

If cutting in an inexpeirienced crew is your plan...try 17 fathoms. We had sharks there late last year while guys were blackfishing. Lots of brown sharks but that might sevre your purpose.

Also what Sportfishingusa said about the threshers wacking bunker pods off the beach in Jersey....Its true, I've seen it while fluking on my friends boat. Nice calm summer day and WHACK! that mighty tail comes outta the water. Awesome sight!

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
canyonfvr wrote:

Threshers come in very close to the beach to deliver their pups in the spring.

I've seen blue sharks as close as the shoal area off of Montauk point and we have caught them at the CIA grounds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all your responses guys i really appreciate it my buddies are all good fisherman but they have never really gotten a taste at the magic of offshore fishing so this info should help thanks again

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was thinking about areas and just remembered that i was working a trip on the party boat i work on and we hooked 3 threshers that day while fishing 80 feet of water over the fire island reef any of you guys think its worth a shot to setup a drift there?

·
Registered
651 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
canyonfvr wrote:

Threshers come in very close to the beach to deliver their pups in the spring.

I've seen blue sharks as close as the shoal area off of Montauk point and we have caught them at the CIA grounds.

I sharked the CIA grounds this past summer when weather was bad and we caught plenty of Blue dogs....9 miles off of Point.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Reef

While there may be some threshers in that area if the circumstances are correct I wouldn't plan on trying a shark drift there. There are always alot of boats in that area. Hit the 20 fathom areas if you want to drift.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Cartwright off of Montauk... I've never seen so many bluesharks in my life... varying sizes... some VERY chubby too... 8-13 ft range... could easily blow thru 20 sharks rigs in two hours... we even started live lining doggies... here's one of the smaller ones...

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try your local reef or bay on the south shore!!!! The bunker guys in Shinne**** get Threshers in the nets all the time.
A few years ago there was a 4' Thresher swiming at the end of the T dock at our marina eating up tuna scraps. He wound up on the grill.
You always hear of pup makos being hooked up on the reef or by the fluke fleet.
Your best shot for a mako or thresher is in the afternoon right off the beach if the blues, bunker and bass are around u can bet the farm there will be a shark not to far.
Last year we had sun fish by the fish pots.
Keep an eye on the kids and the dog u r not alone in the bay

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
TACKLENUT wrote:

Keep an eye on the kids and the dog u r not alone in the bay

It is amazing how little people know about the fishes of Long Island.
I show my classes pictures of sharks and they think I caught them in some far off country. Silly little kids.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.