NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading an article in a book about Bocaccio Rockfish, and it said that any fish, with a swim bladder, will inflate if it is reeled up from over 100 feet down. It said that this makes the fish float, and so, if this is true, the fish will starve or be eaten.:( It also said that the fish might be saved by making a ventillation hole in the fish's flank with a needle, in the swim bladder. Is this true? If so, how do you do that?

CUL8TR

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I covered this in an article I wrote some time ago for Nor'east. It should be in the past issues. Yeds any fish with a swim bladder can be subject to barotrauma (that's the term for it) when subject to sudden decompression. Yes most fish can be safely vented of the excess pressure, if you know what you are doing. The U of Miami has some good descriptions and disgrams on its website.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
jpd wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
I covered this in an article I wrote some time ago for Nor'east. It should be in the past issues.

Would he have to be a Noreaster to read it online?

IIRC it was in the magazine, which is available to everyone on line.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I read an entire article on deflating the swim bladder. It was in saltwater sportsman magazine, cant remember which month though. You need a needle with a hole through the middle and stick it in the swim bladder somewhere behind the dorsal fin. Read it a little while ago though.
Makomike did you write that article for SWS or was there an article in Noreast Saltwater?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.