NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you guys are a riot... I had posts on a couple other sites as well. Looks like I have decided to keep it. Just type 1 looks more like, well, real & more dependable. As you can tell I'm old enough to think ancient....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
rogerpc,

If I was offshore and going down I would prefer a Type 1 PFD. Having said that; I wear my inflatable as a matter of course, something I would not do with a Type 1. Even in the summer heat they are reasonably comfortable. Good luck.

One other thing, keep in mind that inflatables don't count toward your PFD requirement (one per person onboard) unless they are worn.

This message was edited by WhatKnot on 3-17-02 @ 11:50 AM

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
rogerpc,

If I was offshore and going down I would prefer a Type 1 PFD. Having said that; I wear my inflatable as a matter of course, something I would not do with a Type 1. Even in the summer heat they are reasonably comfortable. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Roger,

I use the mustang auto-inflate vest since I enjoy fishing alone,it is extremely comfortable and you don't even know it is on.

One thing to think about is do you always wear your lifejacket?

They can be really uncomfortable so be honest with yourself here try wearing a type-1 around the house for an hour or two. If you don't always wear one and you are on the boat with someone else and the boat is moving and you fall off, hit your head and become unconcious can this individual turn the boat around and get back to you before you sink below the surface. A good way to test this is moving along throw a lifejacket overboard without telling your passenger then tell him/her to take you back to the lifejacket and pick it up. You will be surprised how long this takes when it is a surprise to the passenger (try holding your breath while they do this).

I have jumped in and tested mine and it works self inflating and self uprighting,

If you are not always going to wear your type-1 then they are not going to work and won't be worth anything. Didn't mean to go on and on but don't discount new technology, its not always better but sometimes.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.