NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Noreast Community,

My name is Lou, and I've been away from saltwater fishing for a few years now (did mostly freshwater for a bit), but now I am back, and hooked hard. I have an 11' inflatable .90mm pvc boat that I would like to take out into the bay. At the moment I do not have a motor, and was planning on just rowing around the bay. I read that since inflatables sit so high on the water that they are vulnerable to high winds that could potentially push me out to sea, and that no matter how much I row I wouldn't get back to shore. Do you think that a drift sock would help avoid this? Would a drift sock slow me down enough to allow me to row my way back towards shore? I am planning on fishing the areas around Floyd Bennett Field/Marine Parkway Bridge. Any information/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I hope to see you guys on the water
-Lou
PS: ELIASV & MoJoe, nice to see you are still out there working your magic!!

· Registered
6,870 Posts
Hi Lou,

I have been using an inflatable boat for a long time. I use it mostly in sheltered water but occasionally will take her into the sound. I started off with an 8 footer and now have a 14 footer. The first inflatable I owned I did not have an engine and paddled. That quickly got old because I could not paddle against the wind or currents. Then I purchased an electric motor. That actually worked well, but it was a PITA lugging that car battery around and charging it. Then I got a little 2 stroke engine. That was not to good because the engine was to loud and a PITA having to mix the oil and fuel.

So finally about 10 years ago I only use small 4 stroke engines now. They are perfect for an inflatable. Not to mention, very quiet when you want to sneak up on the fish.

I would not feel to confident with the drift sock. It works great to slow down your drift, but what are you going to do if the current or winds are not in your favor, drift sock or not, you will be out to sea.

Good Luck

Barb.

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Currently

You have to watch the current near the Marine Parkway Bridge. If you look on a map, you'll see the bay pinches to get really small over there. Outgoing current runs pretty fast.
Get a hold of an Eldridge tide book and you can time your trips to go with currents that favor you.

vsk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.