NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Crazy,

In your opnion what are your best complete surf rod setups for south shore under $200, $400 and then lastly the fantasy dream rod? I'm interested in a multipurpose rod for throwing chunks and plugs.

Since i just started out surf fishing this summer i got the all-purpose starter kit, 10 ft ugly stik w/ 704z w/bail strung w/20lb

Thanks
Spacegh8st

This message was edited by spacegh8st on 11-29-01 @ 8:16 AM

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
My vote would go for the 8.6" St. Croix Ben Dorr Surf Elite spinnng rod with a Penn 5500 spooled with 14# Fireline.

It's what I use for both lures & eels on the North Shore. Tosses the lures like a champ & slings the eels far enough out to reach bass moving near the shoreline (60 to 80 feet).

Very light & sensitive but strong enough to hussle in anything I've managed to hook.

·
Registered
831 Posts
spaceghost---you already have a very capable chunking set-up. I would concentrate on a plugging outfit. There is nothing wrong with the 10' Ugly Stik for lobbing a chunk and sinker.

The 704 is a great multi-purpose reel. For plugging the open beach, and even some of the inlets, you're going to take some waves and get sand in the reel. The 704 is probably better suited for that kind of plugging than any reel short of a $650 Van Staal. You can swap the one you already have onto a chunking rod, or invest $70 in another one, and use most of what you have to spend on a good plugging rod.

There are a lot of good sticks that will handle most any plug, from, say, a 6" Bomber that weighs 7/8 oz up to a 3-1/2 oz Danny or pencil popper. Personally, I'm a Lamiglas man. I've tried most of the other top-end sticks, and I always find myself reaching for one of my Lamis when I'm taking one rod and I want versatility. One of the best all-around Lamiglas graphites is the GSB 120 1L blank, on which Lami also builds its medium power production rods (XS101MS, for example). Lami rates it for 2-6 ounces, but light plugs are also easily cast on it. You can push it to the limit or even a little above, and toss a chunk in a pinch, but it's happiest in the 1-3 ounce range. That blank is 10' long--if you wanted to go up to 11', the 132 1L blank is the same rod extended a foot from the butt. Little deeper bend under a load because the fulcrum is lower on the butt section, when it bends. Some people prefer the extra beef of the 120 1M or 132 1M blanks. They would be the better choice if you're only rarely going to cast anything under 2 oz and want a rod that can lob a chunk and 8 oz of lead. A custom built on these blanks, any of them, will run from about $275 up to $400 depending on who builds it, and whether you buy the blank separately or the builder provides it (some builders charge a higher mark-up on the blank than a shop that sells the blanks near their wholesale cost).

As far as the ultimate plugging rod ges, my pick would be the Lamiglas "Ron Arra" 1322. That's rated for 1-5 ounces and has a slightly faster taper than the medium taper GSB blanks. It's rated very accurately, it actually will cast 1 to 5 ounces. You're into the $400+ price range, there, for the finished rod. Lami sells that as a production rod (two-piece models only) and that runs over $300.

The biggest reason I prefer lamiglas over other brands is because they tend to have a parabolic, or "medium" taper under a lod. That means they bend in a smooth, inverted "U" shape rather than resembling an upside-down "J", where only the top 1/4 of the rod bends with a fish on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian Z and Crazy...Looking for a something for plugging up to 5oz. Although i dont have any plugs or tins that weigh over 3oz. From what Mike P says my ugly stik w/ 704z is sufficient for throwing chunks.

Thanks Mike P for your response. Your opnion and rational behind your perference is good info.

Sorry for the confusion
thanks
space

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Space,

The setup you described at the top is good to start. After a couple of seasons look into an Lami XRA 1204 or 1205 rod. I got one this summer and it's like night and day difference! :)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jaiem,
Night and Day??? Chunking or plugging. Better how so. Pls describe some of the mechanics and why in your opnion it is better

Thanks for the recommedation.

Seems like lamiglass is the preferred stick for suth shore.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I had someone give me information as good at that which MikeP gave you, I could have saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years. I have been fishing over 40 years, and am just realizing the value of the information you have been handed. All that remains is to see if YOU recognize truth when you see it. I probably wouldn't have listened to anyone back then. All that I can add, is when it came time to replace a conventional rod in my arsenal recently, I had learned enough to whittle my choice down to 5 production rods. The Lamiglas XS 101 MHC was clearly the front runner, and ultimately the one I bought. Lami makes a spinning version of the same rod, and I echo MikeP's recommendation for XS 101 MS. This is a rod that, although a production rod, was inspired by custom builders and is about good as a production rod can get.

Flounder

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks flounder. Appreciate you guys sharing your info. Info is pretty hard to come by infishing b/c normally I am by myslef or with a couple of friends and we all pretty much started this year. Not like other sports where you are constantly among other participants and can stand right in the thick of things and visually pick stuff up. With the fishing you kind of have to be right there in the shadow to learn.

Thanks guys
space

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.