NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tossed a few spoons and Kastmasters at Kensico this afternoon, and was walking back to the car. I almost had a heart attack when I nearly stepped on this fair-sized bird and he took off running in front of me. It was almost exactly the same colors as the leaves on the ground, and he didn?t seem to want to fly. I could have netted him if it was in my free hand, but I had my camera with me so the chase was on!

I had a hard time picking him out of the pictures, so I cropped him below. Per my eastern backyard bird guide, closest I could guess would be a northern bobwhite. Was it a simple pheasant? I've never seen one of these at the reservoir in the 25 years I've been fishing there.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It's a grouse

too bad you didn't bring your 12 gauge:)! The best part about grouse is when you clean them, you just step on their head and pull on their legs and all the meat pops right off the carcass. Good eats!

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
craigkoproski wrote:
too bad you didn't bring your 12 gauge:)! The best part about grouse is when you clean them, you just step on their head and pull on their legs and all the meat pops right off the carcass. Good eats!

I think you're right...looked a lot like this when it plopped down and tried to hide in the leaves.
Thanks!

This post edited by jpd 02:44 PM 01/08/2008

Attachments

·
Administrator
112,305 Posts
jtzannes wrote:
double breasted mattress thrasher!

i had one of those once they are fun to play with

·
Administrator
112,305 Posts
tautog1 wrote:
canyonfvr wrote:
jtzannes wrote:
double breasted mattress thrasher!

i had one of those once they are fun to play with

Only once?

yes im a looser not lucky with the ladies

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It reminds me more of the high haired gum snapper. It can be found perched atop the Staten Island ferry or at the juicy fruit gum section of your local 7-11.

This post edited by PURSUITWA 04:32 PM 01/08/2008

Attachments

·
Administrator
112,305 Posts
walkingontime wrote:
Beirut.......

and much like beirut ahiman is not getting a prize for guessing the answer first

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.