NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing a jeddi, when a huge oil tanker passes by on the edge of the channel. All the water rushes out and what was once 3 feet of water im wading in is dry land with fish flopping on it. Literally, Flopping small blackfish. It took so much water i found another jeddi in the area that was submerged. Having low tide must have helped.

Has anyone else witness this phenomenom of the undertow created by huge tankers?

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I suppose the displacement of the tanker pushed the water out of the area, but surprised about how much. If anything I would have expected the water level to rise as the tanker approached as water was pushed into the area.

Perhaps when the tanker passed all the displaced water rushed back to the channel and momentarily drained the local area until equilibrium was reached again.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seriously, im not one to lie. There was another angler there..i saw him get out of the water. I thought he was done, because fishing was sluggish. He said when that happens here, he gets out because the drain is so bad! Its odd, to say the least. I should have taken a pic. Next time i will.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Were you near Seguine Point? I saw the same thing happen there when I was about 15. The tanker sucked out the water with it. I was waist deep one minute - 60 yards from the beach - and in about a minute, the water was trickling over my sneakers.

I read somewhere that this phenomenon sometimes occurs naturally, and it is called a "seach" - my spelling may be wrong.

Weird.

Steve

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Unfortunatly, I had a similar exprerience in my boat last season. I was working in 3' of water off the point of Sand City in Northport Bay. A large commercial zipped by, well over the speed limit, and in doing so, sucked all the water out from below me, dropping me down to the hard bottom. Thank God no damage done to the bottom or lower unit. I could *@?^*! jerks like this.

·
Registered
958 Posts
SURFJUNKIE, SOMETIMES WHEN STANDING ON THE SHARROTTS PIER I SEE A TANKER GO BY AND IT REALLY STIRS UP THE BOTTOM BADLY..IT REALLY RUINS THE FISHING...SO I DO BELIEVE YOU. AND THE TANKER IS LIKE A QUARTER MILE AWAY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.