NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have used two types of clear anti-foul on My I/O. Clear choice and tempo. They both work the whole season to keep growth off. The temp go's on a little smother. the clear choice seems to spider web when applying making it a little rougher of a top coat.

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
i found using the new micron product to be great for the drive and using the clear for the bellows. also alumna spay is also great the secret is to use thewhole can when spraying it on.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I forget the name of the stuff V tar or something like that but its aluminium boat bottom paint its 2 part I think and the bes , I used the 20 dollar micron spray stuff & thought it wore off too quick.
alan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anybody had any experience with I/O would like to know how long the universel bellows is expected to last,and how to preserve it. Also what is the best out drive paint to use and who has it in the new york area [bronx].

This message was edited by joe.l on 12-7-01 @ 11:15 AM

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Just in case you don't know,

The EPA has classified bottom paints as pesticides and registers them as such. Many are general use products, which means anyone can buy them and apply them to their own boat and on property that they own. Some, such as TBT paints, are Restricted Use and the applicator must be certified with the DEC in order to apply them in NY state. TBT paints are used on aluminum. The only TBT products that are not Restricted Use come in a 16 ounce, or less, spray can. You can find bottom paints in many marine supply stores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lookiing for info. concerning universal bellows.
does anybody know how long it expected to last and if there is anyway I can extend its life.
Is there anything I can spray on it to preserve it.I have a mercruiser outdrive.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Joe,
Im no huge I/O expert but did have one once and if I remember the bellows last for a few years depending on boats usage and trim usage. I think one reason many people dont " tilt-up" I/O's when they dock them is the excessive wear and tear on the bellows + the fact they usually dont tilt out of the water anyways.
Of all the things that need to be done with I/O maintence , from water pumps to greasing the U joints in there replacing the bellows is a snap and cheap. If the bellows starting to look old replace it @ winterization time next time you pull the drive, you gotta grease that puppy often + I think theres an umpella in there that needs changing.
Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.