NorEast Fishing Forum banner

I need some advice....

11K views 70 replies 34 participants last post by  Enigma 
#1 ·
I got a 13 footer (pole that is)for christmas and I am looking for a new reel.What is the best I could buy for it under $100.I am a newbee to surf fishing but not fishing.I have been fishing all my life.Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
MAY I MAKE ANOTHER SUGGESTION??

Rather then going for a conventional spinning reel - how about trying ine of the baitrunner spinning reels that both Shimano & Penn make? I'm not sure of the Penn modell - but I have the Shimano BaitRunner reel. It's terrific & gives you a lot of flexibility. It's like having 2 reels for the price of one.

Let me eplain.....

Both reels come with a switch on the back of the reel that allows the reel to stay in free-spool. It's a controled free spool unlike what you get with the bail up. When you get a hit - you simply turn the handle & the drag engages to where you had it set. Similar to the way the drag engages on a bait casting reel.

It's terrific for live lining bunker, herring & drifting eels. The free spool is not as free as leaving the bail up which allows some control over you free swimming bait.

Suggest you take a look at them. Like I say - it's two reels for the price of one. They're right around the $100 mark.

I would suggest the Shimano as they are a little lighter then the Penns. With a 13 foot pole you don't want the set-up to be too heavy.

#9 ·
Baitrunner or Liveliner

Wader, I would have suggested the Liveliner 5600 but the request was for a reel under $100. That's another $40. Not sure about the Baitrunner.

#10 ·
They probably are a little more then he's like to spend but like I said - almost like 2 reels in one & you have more flexability. Especially if you want to try live lining.

I have the smaller Shimano BaitRunner on a 10 foot St. Croix. Nice light set-up - can hold it & cast all night without it getting too heavy. I believe I paid around $125 for the Shimano at Sports Authority. Spooled it with 14# Fireline to get a little more line on the spool. Works just fine.

#11 ·
Enigma

Congratulations on your first post!

To bad all you could do was try to discredit some well intended and good advice from Wader and others!

If your going to chime in how about some helpful suggestions.

By the way Rockhead I also use the Shimano Baitrunner and think it's an excellent reel for the $.

#12 ·
Enigma -Personality Stigma ...Relax Dude

We are not trying to cure cancer here, just trying to shorten a learning curve. Whats the matter? Did you run out of Prozac today and your inner Doctor Evil is starting to show his twisted, dirty little mind. Whats your suggestion? Throw an oar in the water or beat it.

#14 ·
Spool size

He's useing a 13 ft.rod he needs the biggest spool he can get,The 706 is the only match for under $100bucs.The baitrunners are nice but not the right reel for a 13fter.I hope he don't plan on pluggin wit it:(dem arms will fall off after,10 casts:)Thats a putter in da holder,grab a lawn chair settup.But gonna be able to reach the outside of cedar bar,wit that chunk.:)

#16 ·
I would like to say that if you have discovered that you really enjoy surf fishing then I would not limit yourself to a $100 reel. I know that a $100 is allot of money but for a little more the quality and level of enjoyment in it might take a signifigant jump. No need to spend $ 500 on a Van Stall. Surf fishing can be very challenging but also very rewarding. Generally better things cost more. The pain of not being able to fish in a blitz because of a broken reel costs much in sanity. I have had it happen and it's not easily forgotten. I like conventional reels for bait and spinning for lures. Stick with large, well known companies like Penn.

#18 ·
Wow!Thanks for all the advice.I think I will still go for the penn.I know the 13 footer is a big stick but it was a gift plus this is my second surf setup.I wanted to keep the price down cause I have many rod/reel setups that cost me alot of bucks through the years.I plan to use the pole for chunking and it is a 3 peice.Thanks again tight lines.

#20 ·
Shimmano bait Runner,,,,,,,

i think you might be better off with.

I bought 1 of those reels way back when they first came out, and the reel is still in great working order and I usually set it up as a Dead Stick when I'm out drifting around.

I also let newbie fisherman use it as it is a lot easier for them to set the hook.

Just start turning knob when you hear line peeling off!

guess thats my .02c worth

#21 ·
I'd also say get the Shimano baitrunner for chunking. The 706 is a great reel, but the manual pick-up has a slight learning curve. Moreover, it doesn't take a lot of slack for line to fall off that pick-up. A wave moves your sinker just a little bit, line goes a little slack, with a bit of wind, the line slips off the pick-up while your not paying attention, next thing you know, there's 100 yards of mono lying tangled on the beach.

I'm not in love with most Shimano spinning reels, but that Baitrunner is built strong and doesn't require constant TLC to keep on ticking.

#24 ·
Sand man

Don't you think that reel is little on the small side for a 13ft. rod?You need alotta line for that pole.I'm just curious why allotta you guys keep suggesting such a small reel for such a big stick? I have used the baitrunners & they are great,but in my opinion you need the bigger reel for a bigger stick.

#26 ·
Its for Spinning.Are there 13foot rods set up for Conventional Reels?Does anyone know an online store that I could pick up the penn 706 ,I buy alot from Cabela's but they don't have that reel.What do you guys think of the Cabela's salt striker reel or the Abu Garcia Big Game CD Spinning Reel or the penn ss ones?I know you gave me advice already but I was just wondering.Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.