NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to heat my garage..its a 2 car detached garage with one electric circut...i am thinking about everything from a woodstove to an electric heater....any ideas from my friends at noreast ??? i just need heat so i can work on the bikes and the cars without freezing my important parts off..lol

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
dont do this

1dogshy wrote:

we just came back from a 2 car detached garage fire.
the guy was 'just soldering' something and went in the house.
well, the garage was fully involved.....

lost a lot of tools...

his neighbor was bustin his asz.

actually, i like my 3 panel wall unit propane heaters, i got a 50 gallon tank outside. I got one upstairs and one in the basement for a secondary heat source. It heats good, burns fuel slow, it is clean and easy.

This post edited by 1dogshy 06:55 PM 01/21/2008

·
Administrator
112,302 Posts
psycopanhead wrote:
torpedo heater is a good idea ,,,but,noise + fumes = headache

beer+beer= no noise ne headache

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Just make sure that when using an open flame/element unit like the above you don't do anything that creates significant fumes or vapors, painting fiberglassing, etc can all create fumes and explosive vapors which when mixed with open flame or element make a big boom.

If your going to glass and paint in colder weather try using a oilfilled radator heater or heatlamps.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
* Space heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn, such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
* Turn portable heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
* Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.
* Inspect for cracked, frayed or broken plugs or loose connections. Replace before using.
* Have your chimney inspected each year and cleaned if necessary.
* Use a sturdy fireplace screen.
* Allow ashes to cool before disposing. Dispose of ashes in a metal container.
* Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. For the best protection interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home ? when one sounds, they all sound. Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
* Install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.
* Never use an oven to heat your home.

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
jpd wrote:
Ask Gary

and use Heat Shields

cheapest heat is a nice sealed pot belly stove plenty of wood out there at the curb

My geeerage is 24ft X 36ft and my little pot belly gets it up to about 70 inside. Wood is free. Whenever I see a small tree down, or someone cutting one down I get a bunch of peices of the larger branches/ Makes it easier than trying to cut big trunks up.........

And check around for any places that toss out palletts, they burn great

I used to get scrap lumber from a company that built oak pallets and oversees crates..............$10 bucks for as much wood scrap pieces as you could fit in your pickup.

My geeerage can be around 25 to 30 degrees........after I light the stove it takes about 1/2 hour to start warming up.......

Attachments

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I,v thought about this for 5 years (seriously) and the best way is to get one of the Modine hanging heaters. Not the cheapest but the best. You will not use much gas but the cost of the unit is about $500. I have 2 of them just have not put them in yet. My friend has one and turns it on via switch in his house. Whatever the thermostat is set at is the temp. when he gets out there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.