NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new boat that I will use mostly for canyon fishing. I wa sjust looking for some recomendations.

I would like to be in something 36- 40 somesothing feet
and eighter new or real close to new condition. what important to me is quality, ride ,ect....but also economy with the price of diesel Id like something ez on the wallet.

A downeaster is to long a wait and i cant find anything Im cray about thats built and not beat up.

Budget wise Im looking at upto 500k or so
so far my choice is the new 36 bertram I saw at the javitz show
it might just be to pretty to be a fish boat. but seemed like alot of boat for the $$$ about 600k loaded, elctronics,tower,ect.....compared to other boats bertram is not so overpriced.. A 36 grady I compared at the show looked like a toy with eggbeaters and was about the same monet plus no tower. and grady's fit finish was a world away form the bert.

also if you know someone selling I interested.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
I happen to like the 39' Topaz Royale one of the nicest and best riding hulls I have been on and they usually have a total of 1000hp so they can move very well ideal canyon boat also the 38' Topaz command bridge is another very good canyon boat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Henriques boats

Henriques makes some great sportfishermen. The 38 foot convertible is a great boat with a big ****pit, big fish boxes. One of the best sportfisherman in my opinion out of all the other competitors.They make an express model, and they make them in 35 and 42 foot models also, just barely outside your size slot. Their website is integritymarine.com. My favorite part of the boat is their huge ****pits compared to other sportfisherman. They have an incredible ammount of room and lots of space for coolers, totes and other bulky equipment on deck.http://www.integritymarine.com/

·
Registered
848 Posts
i would go for a Henriques the new 42 open is my favorite boat in that size class the two giant fish boxes are huge you never need a cooler on the deck ever again. Also take a look at some of the used Vikings there are some nice vikings in the 40-48 class range slightly used in your price range. Before you make the decisions go around and test lots of boats and talk to other customers that owned/ had the boat you are interested in buying ask them what they would do different to the boat and how they liked it ask little details about the boat.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
nycguy230 wrote:
so far my choice is the new 36 bertram I saw at the javitz show
it might just be to pretty to be a fish boat. but seemed like alot of boat for the $$$ about 600k loaded, elctronics,tower,ect.....compared to other boats bertram is not so overpriced..

At the show they told me that Bertram STARTS at "around 600". Deff. a pretty boat. The wellcraft coastal 36' was real nice. Did you check it out? Loaded = $437 w/ twin Cummins

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Henriques would be the one I would look at. You can semi custom them when ordering and they have alot to offer a canyon guy that wants to use the boat for other things as well. I'm a Downeast guy but if I were looking for a twin screw boat (witch I was at one time) the 38 Henriques would be the boat I would get.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Contact asiegel on this sight, he has a 2005 42 Henriques up for sale all set for canyon fishing and in real nice shape.
Just keep in mind that if you buy new, the electronics package will cost another 20K min. So you may do better buying something a couple years old.
Good luck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Jigalow wrote:
Oh thanks OB, trying to sell off my canyon ride... Now what am I going to do:confused::confused::confused:
Don't worry, the next one is going to be a bit bigger and a whole lot faster, not that 28kts isn't fast enough but there is always room to improve. You don't really think Andy is going to be with out a boat for long do you? Well not if I have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check out the 42 Bert I have listed on the 4-sale page.
Its a tank and in prime shape. (and it can run circles around those topaz boats in the snot)

This post edited by ***** 11:59 PM 01/13/2008

·
Registered
867 Posts
fished hudson this fall on a 2003 38 henriques. it cruises at about 25kts and a run from FI inlet to hudson and a troll burned about 250 gal on volvos (not sure which ones) huge fish boxes, huge ****pit roomy bridge, engine controls in the ****pit and room for second set of electronics too in the ****pit too. no comparison to the 35 viking

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah, you cant compare the 2003 38 Henriques to the 35 Viking.

The 35 Viking model was stopped in 1990. The power in the 2003 Henriques is going to give it more speed due to newer technology.

As for setup, they are a bit different. Where Henriques, you get more ****pit, the Viking gives you more space inside. Its all a trade off.

Our 35 fits our family well for what we want to do as we do the Montauk and Fire Island excursions during the summer. It also has been great to fish. Although a tad bit light on fuel and a small ****pit, it has never stopped us from canyon fishing. Plenty of big fish been dragged into that small ****pit (541 Blue Marlin, 454 Thresher, Tuna to 200, 242 Sword). With 2 coolers on the bridge and the use of fish bags in the fishboxes, this year we had 9 yellows, 4 penguins, dozen mahi and 100# sword(in the big bag on the deck) in the boat.

As I like to say, to each their own. Finding a boat really needs to fit your use and comfort level.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.