NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry I don't have enough time to read through every thread on these boards to get (informed), and I do want to be (informed) so maybe someone can clear this up for me?

I heard through the grapevine that they are planning to stick us with a (2) fluke @ 21 inches limit, and a lousy 5 week season that begins in June and ends in July? This sounds blasphemous!

I heard that tog will be cut down to 4 fish per person. I also heard that they're talking about closing tog from December 17th through January 21st?

I heard that they are discussing making scup 10 fish per person? Even on party boats?

So if you can't fish for fluke, and you can't fish for scup, all that's left is Sea bass and blue fish for the party boats. This will KILL so many businesses if these things materialize this way!

I even heard rumor that they're considering raising striped bass size limits again!

Hopefully some of you guys (In the know) can help clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul, but what does that mean exactly?

These are serious questions and these are rumors that are going around. I looked into the latest threads on the fluke topic that I can find but there is no mention of limits and season from what I can see.

I want to know is there any truth to these things that are circulating around?

I don't know anything about raisin except that I like them in trail mix and crunchy raisin bran.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I was on my way out the door, but wanted to STOP the rumor at that point.

My time is valuable, I'm not sure, though, if it is more valuable that others'. I will offer that I invest an abnormally large amount of time into my average post, which I wouldn't be doing if I valued my time more than others'.

Here are NY's fluke options, at this point:

-19.5" 2 fish May 24- July 13
-19.5" 2 fish June 14- July 22
-19.5" 2 fish July 4- August 4
-19.5" 2 fish July29- Sept 1
-19.5" 3 fish May 24- July 11
-19.5" 3 fish June 14- July 20
-19.5" 3 fish July 4- Aug 7
-19.5" 3 fish July 31- Sept 1
-20" 2 fish July 4- Sept 1
-20.5" 4 fish May 15- Sept 1

More options may develop, we hope, but who knows what we will end up w/.

For blackfish, at this time, the season is Oct. 1 thru Dec 20, ad then Jan 17 thru April 30. The bag limit is down to four fish.

I am probably stale w/ my scup info, but last I heard they have not determined the regional regulations, but there will be a significant reduction. Party/charter boats will still get their period of 60 fish bag limit landings. It is also probable that the southern region, which happens to include NJ, will not have to take a reduction, beause NJ and the states to the douth of it do not really catch any amount of scup.

By the way, there hasn't been much discussion of these regs on these Boards, and very little hard data has been put up, mainly because everything is still up in the air. So, now is a good time to be one of the ones, and write o telephone the DEC and let them know you really want as long of a season as possible for fluke (or not), and that you are also very unhappy that the DEC and the rest of the state government are allowing the other states to use NY to wipe up their problems.

Paul

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Paul's info is good. the only adusttment I want to make is to the scup limits. The for hire sector will have their bonus season but it will be 45 fish and not 60, and its a 44 day duration.... the specfic days have not yet been determined. The remainder of the open season, for hire boats will have a 10 fish limit. During both periods the size limit will be 11 inches.

For all other rec fishermen, the bag limit is 10 fish with a size limit unchanged from last year of 10 1/2 inches.

This post edited by reelfisher 09:35 AM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! I'm blown away!

Thank you gentlemen for taking your valuable time to enlighten and catch me up on my education of our current regs situation.

I don't how it all has come to this, It sounds like COMPLETE INSANITY to me.

How they feel this justifiable I have no idea.

To fish for porgies myself for one day in the sound, I'd have to buy about $15 in chum minimum, 2 dozen sand worms at like $6/ dozen, maybe some clams, you're talking between $30 to $45 in bait, and then gas, and lunch, all for 10 lousy porgies? How is that fair?

I think the FOR HIRE sector will again vote for the longest season available which would most likely be a huge mistake in my opinion. The industry will suffer on all of these options regardless. Than accept the terms of the longest season option for what? SO they can shut the season down early on us again? There is some real shistering going on here obviously. If the FOR HIRE fishing industry hasn't done it already they need to pool some money into hiring lawyers to fight this stuff. I think customers should be willing to ship in too if they still want to have a head boat or charters that we can go and fish on, because they're all heading towards an early retirement.

Also the best thing of all I think would be to hire actual scientists who can prove that stocks and migration and habitat and food supply are what would sustain the health of differnt fish stocks and that the plans for conservation have to be changed to more realistic plans.

Sorry if I'm not as in the know as the rest of you guys, I don't get a lot of time on line to research things, I'm out making a living over the course of many hours.Even we less informed guys have and share opinions and the same feelings that you do of course. We all in the end want to see the fair and proper solutions win out some how.

I don't like feeling as if I'm being screwed as much as anybody. they keep regulating ocean waters and reducing what we are allowed to keep year after year, but seriously how much damage can we with rods and reels inflict as compared to those with nets, traps, and giant hydro vacuum cleaners? This is all so insane and unfair it makes me sick! Had I time to invest in this cause I certainly would. I do feel strongly about it.

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
bigtunabunda wrote:
but seriously how much damage can we with rods and reels inflict as compared to those with nets, traps, and giant hydro vacuum cleaners?
ZERO EFFECT of course :rolleyes:
Rod and reel fisherman shouldn't have any regs to contend with,
catch it, keep it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
CaptPaul wrote:
It depends- Do you fish to kill, or for enjoyment?

Just so you don't get the wrong idea, I personally fish to kill.

Paul
Paul I know you fish to kill in order to make a living but don't you get any enjoyment out of just going fishing? Maybe your the wrong person to ask because fishing is your job and not your hobby.

Here is something I posted in another thread:

I'll never understand why both freshwater bass fisherman and offshore shark and billfish anglers have no problem spending billions of dollars on their sport and never take home a single pound of fish. Then all I read on fishing websites is "who is going to pay for a charter and take home 4 tog, or 10 porgies or 2 fluke?" Nobody says you can't catch a hundered fish and have fun, you just can't keep them. This past spring Mike Togmaster took me out fluking and we must of had 75-100 fish with only 3 keepers. It was a great day, a 19" short is a nice fish and gives a good fight on light bucktailing gear. On 12/31/06 EDP35 and I caught around 70 tog up to 12 pounds and released every fish, a day I will always remember. Over the past 3 years I have started using what use to be my ocean fluke rod for blackfishing and have landed a 18.5 and quite a few 12-15 pound fish on it. Fish for the joy and the challenge of it!

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Sometimes I enjoy fishing, but usually I loose interest fast if I'm not keeping. It's just me, has nothing to do w/ what I do, but maybe w/ what I used to do. I guess more and more I enjoy just catching at times, but I really enjoy accumulating.

Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Mako,just to make my comment clear,I fillet and release within the regulations.I just thought investing $50k or better on a fishing boat with the rumored regulations takes alot of consideration and makes purchasing such a boat a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
LarryNoBoat;

Don't you know that people are starving here, and NEED fish to eat? Keeping just 1 or 2 fish doesn't feed the Tribe. And what is this fishing called Sport? Is it possible to have fun catching fish without keeping them? I guess they fight better, when they KNOW they're going to be kept, for the dinner table??

But anyway, all kidding aside. I'd like to see more guys like you out there fishing. And NOT the kill for the dockage fees.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
KeeperSeaker wrote:
Hey Mako,just to make my comment clear,I fillet and release within the regulations.I just thought investing $50k or better on a fishing boat with the rumored regulations takes alot of consideration and makes purchasing such a boat a tough decision.

If how much you can keep and the expected "value" of those fish weighs into a decision to buy a boat or not....then that's nuts.

you buy a boat because you want to experience a different type of fishing. if you expect to "offset" even 1% that purchase by bringing home dinner when you go, you need to call a financial analysts and have your head examined.

Face it, if we wanted to get good fish cheap, we wouldn't be fishing for them ourselves

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here is something I posted in another thread:

I'll never understand why both freshwater bass fisherman and offshore shark and billfish anglers have no problem spending billions of dollars on their sport and never take home a single pound of fish. Then all I read on fishing websites is "who is going to pay for a charter and take home 4 tog, or 10 porgies or 2 fluke?" Nobody says you can't catch a hundered fish and have fun, you just can't keep them. This past spring Mike Togmaster took me out fluking and we must of had 75-100 fish with only 3 keepers. It was a great day, a 19" short is a nice fish and gives a good fight on light bucktailing gear. On 12/31/06 EDP35 and I caught around 70 tog up to 12 pounds and released every fish, a day I will always remember. Over the past 3 years I have started using what use to be my ocean fluke rod for blackfishing and have landed a 18.5 and quite a few 12-15 pound fish on it. Fish for the joy and the challenge of it!

[/quote]

Larry: You make some good points here...I would indeed have no problem pulling fish after fish and only keeping a limit of prime table worthy fish, and on Private vessels it is fine to do so! The Problem is with vessels for hire...Charter Captains have the right to terminate any trip once limits are filled. I don't need to fill the cooler every time, but when I go fishing...I want to go for the day... end of story. Kilsong had a Cod Charter out of Gloucester that lasted 2 drifts, they were back at the dock at 9 AM with a 4 man cod limit of 20 fish. The Charter cost over 700 bucks, not to mention the 5+ hr drive each way. If I wanted to pay 200 bucks for 45 minutes of therapy I would book a psycologist, not a charter boat.

If you have 4 people in your charter, and a captain and mate, why don't they just let the party fill there limit and save the captain and mates limit to cover accidental mortality for the remainder of the days catch and release or to cover them in the event of a trophy fish being landed?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.