NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me if putting a hydrafoil fin on my 200hp Suzuki would help me and save on fuel?
Thanks for any replies.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

G

·
Paulie,
A hydra-foil on a boat of your size and weight would not be very effective for fuel economy.Smaller boats with severe bow lift on take off that are shorter and lighter will benefit the most, by getting up on plane faster. Trim tabs are the way to go.With a hydra-foil on the cavitation plate, engine tilt position is the only adjustment you have. Trim tabs will let you independantly adjust the attitude of the hull ,stay up on plane at lower rpms, and let you adjust the trim for maximum performance with the bow where you want it, depending on the seas or bay chop. Maximize fuel consumption by independantly adjusting the engine trim to gain the hightest speed at thet lowest RPM. Hope this helps.
MAKOMAGIC

This message was edited by Makomagic on 2-20-02 @ 6:15 PM

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Foils installed on a 115HP Suzuki 4-stroke, on a 19' boat, to be honest I really didn't notice much of a differance other than loosing about 2mph on the top end. Go with the Tabs, I'm having them installed in a few weeks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.