NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the other thread, so I thought this was a good time to ask.

Day three of this heat and it finally happened.

My AC at the shop gave in. I can't get the temp below 75 degress. I don't get cold air, it's just kinda-cool now. The unit is 20-25 yrs old now. Roof mounted, it's a 7.5 ton unit & pulls about 50 amps or so the electrician said. Our shop is about 2,500 sq.ft.

I have only 5 years left on my lease and was wondering if upgrading to a newer efficient unit made sense. I'm guessing a new unit is a few thousand, anyone in the business? I need to know how much I'm looking at.

Thanks as always...

ps: are these things like car ac's and maybe just needs some freon or like?

·
Registered
339 Posts
ac

i'm in the hvac line and there are a few things that can be repaired without killing you.the condenser coils can be cleaned with a garden hose,protect the motors and electric,and don't use chemiclals.the belts on the evap and condenser should be fairly tight with no cracks.a sure sign of a leak is oil around some componant.if the compressor does not run it could be held out by a high or low pressure safety.if you shut the breaker and remove the wires to the compressor,push terminals,you can test for a shorted compressor.using a continuity tester go from any terminal to ground.if you get a reading the compressor is shorted and you should think about replacing the unit.hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
call a guy in to look at it it just may need a tune up coils cleaned recharge of freon see what they say it doesnt hurt you could save yourself allot of money if its that Old i doubt there was ever maintenance done to it i would call a guy in to service it

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 03:10 PM 07/18/2006

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YAMAN, much appreciated really! Just doesn't show thru the typing. :)

S3 - Watching the pregame? I'll be calling for a service call to my ac guy.

This post edited by addict 09:35 PM 07/18/2006

1 - 8 of 8 Posts