NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a boat after Jan. 1. I have decided on a Walk Around Cuddy Cabin style in the 22- 26 ft range.

I have personally ridden/piloted a fair number of boats and have done enough research to know what is currently available in a deep-vee displacement type hull. I also am aware of what the various manufacturers are offering regarding options, power, etc. However...

I am also interested in the twin hull (catamaran) style hulls. I had the pleasure of riding in 2 over the past several years and was impressed with the ride, comfort, room and options.

I am aware that they are more costly to purchase due to the dual motors, design, materials and production. But are they worth the extra $$$ in the long run?

I do not see all that many on the South Shore, although they are supposed to be "increasing in demand" as the the sales hype says.

Does any one wish to share first hand experience, information or input on them?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Tight lines and fair winds always!

-Mad Mahi

TSLTW

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Here's my two cents...

For the same money, you might want to consider going for a high-end deep-V like a Grady White, Sea Ox, Boston Whaler, Wellcraft, etc... with dual outboards. I suggest this because with the twin hull boats you lose the prime reason to spend the extra $$ for twin engines which is the reliabilty & safety factor. The CAT hulls do not function on a single engine should one engine fail.

Why spend all that money and still not have the piece of mind that you should come with the extra $$ ? Having twin engines should be a luxury, not a necessity.

If you want to be convinced, go to a dealer that sells catamaran hulls and ask them to show you how the boat performs on just one engine. They are like a helicopter with no tail. Then test a deep V hull with one engine running.

Think about it...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DoctorFish-

Thank you for the reply... I was a little disappointed to only see yours, but I guess that's because there are not that many "Cat" oners around.

Without doubt, though, you brought up a very valid point to check out! I will be "test driving" several boats before I make my decision.

One of them will probably be this weekend at the Tobay boat show where I have already made an appointment with 3 dealer reps, one of which has a 28' cat to test.

I'll insist on having them put it through the paces on one engine.

Any other valuable insight or tips to offer?

Thanks again for your reply!

- Mad Mahi

TSLTW

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
You are very welcome.

I'm not sure what else you need to consider. I do know that whenever I watch offshore racing on TV, it's always the cats that flip over. I think it has something to do with the wind tunnel under the boat. Then again, how fast are you really going to cruise? Let us know how what you discover at Tobay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.