NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw on another board this topic & was wondering what is your opinion, including Alberto. Cleaning the toxins would be good, but the dredging process may cause short term contamination of the water by disturbing the sediments. Personally I am for the clean up, but would like to hear others views.

PS, I should give credit where credit is due, though its widly known. The Genneral Electric corp. caused this polution by dumping the PCBs in the river, and should pick up the price of the clean up. They have also spent a lot of money to avoid cleaning up the river they poluted.

This message was edited by NJSurf on 12-6-01 @ 11:02 AM

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello NJSurf,

I am well aware about this PCB and how it affects our fish and environment. Unfortunately this is a catch 2/2 call but if I were to make a call. I am with you - I say let's clean it and hope for the best!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
404 Posts
crazy al and a lot of other recreational anglers often point out (correctly i'm sure) about how the commercial fishers laugh at the divided sporties.

for decades, GE and the like have laughed the loudest as they had their way while ALL the fishers have fought amongst themselves.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
404 Posts
ok njsurf, i'll try to answer your question.

it needs to be cleaned up before it is inadvertently released with every disturbance of the river bottom, such as from future construction projects.

for the most part, the pcb's are in a dormant state at this time, as i understand it.

therefore i think removal should be attempted in a selected area first. a good place to start would be in an area that is already in line for a construction project. this initial attempt at removal could be monitored and finally evaluated for accidentally released pcb's to determine if the method used was effective.

if results were acceptable then the work could progress to other areas of the river. if results were unacceptable then the methodology could be refined for the remainder of the removal.

to summarize, i think removal of pcb's should begin asap, but i do not know of any reason to rush the entire process and risk making a horrible situation worse.

set,
opinari

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.