NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what the general public feels about what the price of fuel (diesel or gas) will be this fishing season and also,if the smaller quotas will effect where, when and how you fish.with a new tog limit already signed how many guys from the south shore will run to 17 fathoms for blackfish? at 4 fish per man,and fluke god only knows what they will come up with this year, but ill tell you it doesnt look good. not to cause a war here just wondering how this will effect all of us comm/rec fisherman.whats your outlook on this topic.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the price of fuel is going to be a tough one this season . BUT im sure we all will find out come the end of the season we will run the same amount of trips regardless of fuel or regs. ;);)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Thinking of taking up basket weaving.;)

Seriously.. I think it will hurt the entire indusrty form B&T shop's right down to the rec guy. That's covers a broad spectrum from suppliers to wholesaler to consumer and that's just for the local guy.

IMHO opinion the next year is really gonna suck for everything.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE HEADLINES-

High gas prices affect boaters too

May 2007-

In our area, the price of regular unleaded gas at dockside pump stations is about $4 a gallon.

This is when oil was trading at 65-75 dollars a barrel, instead of 90-99 dollars that it is usually trading these days.

Fuel costs give boaters a bow shot

Again from 2007-

Marinas in his area charge about $3.20 a gallon for gasoline and $3.40 a gallon for diesel. Most vessels bigger than 28 feet use diesel, he said.

A small boat, he said, may use about 40 gallons of gas a day. But a 30-footer with twin 250- horsepower outboards can burn about 300 gallons - worth at least $1,000. And no alternative boat fuels seem to be around the corner.

"It's looking inevitable that there's going to be a dramatic downsizing in the industry," Wooddisse said. "Probably starting with sales. Then people like me."

This story is from May 09, 2005-

Boating bane: higher gas & mooring prices-
Stories presage problems at the pumps for boaters this summer

There's no question that record-high fuel prices, already the bane of commuters, will be an unwelcome fact of life for boaters this summer, too.

Another one Published: May 24, 2006

NY TIMES: With Costly Fuel, Boaters Are Cutting Back on Plans

The reason why I bring this old clips up is that these will be looked at as the good old days as fuel prices at the dock will push past the 4 dollar plus a gallon mark this summer.

There is little you can do about it, except ask your friends to chip in to cover the costs of the fuel, fish closer to home, or do less fishing with your boat.

It is the reality of the situation.

But then again...............

And these guys think they have the answer.....

EC NEWELL MAN<>

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I am totally screwed unless I can come up with $10,000 for a new 4 stroke and then I still have to pay for that. My 225 eats fuel like it's candy:mad:

it's gonna be a tough call, my motor runs great and it doesn't give a **** about the "new" fuel either. But I will be getting a new motor this year, I just don't know if it will be in the spring or in the early summer, nice thing about outboards, it only takes 1 day

At least I'm on a trailer and I don't have to pay marina prices for watery fuel

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
commfish wrote:
Come on Bill...throw that doom and gloom attitude overboard

I am actually hoping I am wrong but if you look at the big picture life as we know it will be in for rude awakening.

I am not just talking fishing here, I am talking the whole economy.

You can't turn on a light switch with out having to burn some sort of fuel...nevermind marine applications.

For some it's CODB (cost of doing business) to the average Joe, it's a bill that they can do without.

Lot will be told this coming election, and this being an election year...:rolleyes:... Normally everything comes to a screaming halt anyway with an E/year, but with all the other B/S thrown on top...hold on guys..fishin may be your least worry.

This post edited by baywatch 07:55 PM 01/21/2008

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Baywatch;

I have to sadly agree with your statement, that we're in for a rude awakening, as for the lifestyle here in the USA. We may end up like europe, who pay about 6-7 dollars US for a gallon at Gas stations! Just read how the price of food has really jumped in the last 6 months, due to fuel costs. And Wall Street is having problems now. Time to tighten the belts."YES", it will effect my fishing habits. I'm on a pension, and running and storing my boat is getting costly for me. Thankfully the boat is paid for, but dockage and storage is expensive, and top that off with Fuel costs. OUCH!!! But I don't drink and don't have any real vices other than fishing. My fishing will be very local. No more 1 hour runs. Or jumping from spot to spot. Time to just go to a favorite spot, and just stay there, and maybe hit another on way back in to dock.

This post edited by JollyRoger190 09:07 PM 01/21/2008

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
JollyRoger190 wrote:
Baywatch;

I have to sadly agree with your statement, that we're in for a rude awakening, as for the lifestyle here in the USA. We may end up like europe, who pay about 6-7 dollars US for a gallon at Gas stations! Just read how the price of food has really jumped in the last 6 months, due to fuel costs. And Wall Street is having problems now. Time to tighten the belts."YES", it will effect my fishing habits. I'm on a pension, and running and storing my boat is getting costly for me. Thankfully the boat is paid for, but dockage and storage is expensive, and top that off with Fuel costs. OUCH!!! But I don't drink and don't have any real vices other than fishing. My fishing will be very local. No more 1 hour runs. Or jumping from spot to spot. Time to just go to a favorite spot, and just stay there, and maybe hit another on way back in to dock.

I am in the same situation as you being retired, My only advantage is havng the boat in the backyard, so no dock or storage fees.

My fishing will be fairly local especially with Tarpon Season coming up.

I also have one of the older Yammies 250's which is a great engine but when running @ about 4200 I burn 15-16 gallons and hour. I was considering a new 4 stroke also but 17K for a new one..
without rigging.

Hopefully I will run with at least 3 people on the boat to defer cost and we can still get out hopefully twice a week at least.

I don't know how it will effect off shore boats/ private charters/ etc but you can count on paying though the nose for a canyon trip this year. Can't wait to see what the sir charge will be for fuel on them

Hey If I didn't have bad back I would consider fishing no motor zones in a YAK before pulling up to the fuel dock. Might be fun getting pulled around by a 150 pound Tarpon in a Yak also...;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
SOS DD

Same Old ___ Different Day.

I have performed several measures to reduce my oil consumption in my cars and home.

I saw this coming three years ago. So,In the home, I installed a pellet burning stove. The first year with the stove, I spent $250 on heating oil. Last year $175.

I used to use 4 tanks of oil yearly. This year so far about $12 (about 4 gallons). This year at $3.00 per gallon I would have used about 1,000 gallons which equals well over $3,000.

Pellets cost me about $250 per ton. I use about 3-4 tons to heat the house per year.

There leftover is my gas money for the boat this year. $2,000.00

Also, with the cars, the gas guzzling Ram (11mpg city 16 mpg highway) with the Hemi stays home and the slightly more fuel efficient Mustang GT convertible (If I don't put my foot in it, I can get 19-20 mpg.

I work in Nassau County 2 days weekly 30 miles one way. But the truck does the highway trip at 16mpg so I use it for those days to conserve miles on the Mustang. The Mustang is use the other 3 days for my job just 12 miles (city driving) from the house.

The wife has a Honda Accord. She does 60 round trip daily. She doesn't drive my cars (RAm and Mustang):).

So net net, By adjusting my oil consumption, I am still able to use the boat with no worries of gas prices.

Also, As of last year, everybody pays for gas. I used to foot the whole bill. Not anymore.

LooneyTunes
Dave

PS> Looking at Solar heating for Hot Water. AND Adding a wood burning stove in the basement. This should take me off of oil in the home all together. Firewood is no issue. 388 Acres upsate

I wish I could afford Solar for all home electric but the time to recoup investment is too long, It may never even be realized at this stage of the game.

This post edited by LooneyTunes 10:00 AM 01/22/2008

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pellet Stove

Looney,
I recently bought a house that has a pellet stove. It is not hooked up to heat my whole house (not hooked up to the ducts) but it does a great job with the downstairs with just the built in blower.

Can I ask where you get your pellets? I don't go thru much and dont have a place to store much so I have been getting 50lb bags for $6 each at Home Depot. Having a pellet stove has definitely has saved my from using a lot of oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.