NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to set up the boat with outriggers. I'm not sure how to determine what size outriggers I should look for. Obviously, I have considered bridge clearence (I pass under a local bridge pretty regularly), and what would look riduculous, and of course bigger is better, but are there any 'guidelines' as to what size outriggers I should set up the boat with?

* - Boat is a 34' Phoenix convertable with hardtop

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I think it depends, somewhat on where you are going to mount them. If you're going to mount them in the tower you might want to go a little shorter than if they are going to be mounted in the gunnels. But I think a goood rule of thumb, ay least for a starting point is about as long as the boat. So on your boat, I'd go with 20 to 26 foot riggers. I have 22 footers on my 30 foot boat, but they are mounted up in the tower.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Hi Mike.. usually you are right on but I need to disagree - most 25-30 ft. boats do not have reasonable mounting capability for the hardware you'd need with 25-30 ft. outriggers..

I'd say more like 75% of the length of the boat is typical.

I don't think how it looks means squat.. in the end the longer and higher the outriggers the better. Add whatever is practical for your boat and budget..

The type of brackets you want determines the type of outriggers you can handle more than anything else.. budget is a major factor.

A good set of 18 ft. poles with a gimbaled lift-and-swivel style bracket works well and is very practical for most boats; they can mount on top of the hardtop, to the side of the cabin, to the hardtop frame, and even in the gunnel (worst mounting place though)..

There are variations on the above which enable swivelling the rigger from under the hardtop with a handle.. nice but they suck in my opinion because they leave the outriggers hanging over the deck when you are running.. fine for mounting at flybridge height and above with a tower but not good on top of a pilot-house or first hardtop level..

Whatever you choose, if they are going to be mounted on the "first floor" you either want the outriggers heading off over the deck at a 45 degree angle or practically straight up.

When you go larger on the outriggers you get into wishbone style mounts, they are expensive but great and can handle outriggers > 20 ft, but they do require more space and a more sturdy mounting area.. then you are probably also into longer poles with spreaders.

Jon

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
leakyrivot wrote:

Hi Mike.. usually you are right on but I need to disagree - most 25-30 ft. boats do not have reasonable mounting capability for the hardware you'd need with 25-30 ft. outriggers..

I'd say more like 75% of the length of the boat is typical.

I don't think how it looks means squat.. in the end the longer and higher the outriggers the better. Add whatever is practical for your boat and budget..

The type of brackets you want determines the type of outriggers you can handle more than anything else.. budget is a major factor.

A good set of 18 ft. poles with a gimbaled lift-and-swivel style bracket works well and is very practical for most boats; they can mount on top of the hardtop, to the side of the cabin, to the hardtop frame, and even in the gunnel (worst mounting place though)..

There are variations on the above which enable swivelling the rigger from under the hardtop with a handle.. nice but they suck in my opinion because they leave the outriggers hanging over the deck when you are running.. fine for mounting at flybridge height and above with a tower but not good on top of a pilot-house or first hardtop level..

Whatever you choose, if they are going to be mounted on the "first floor" you either want the outriggers heading off over the deck at a 45 degree angle or practically straight up.

When you go larger on the outriggers you get into wishbone style mounts, they are expensive but great and can handle outriggers > 20 ft, but they do require more space and a more sturdy mounting area.. then you are probably also into longer poles with spreaders.

Jon

Jon, I agree with what you said for smaller boats, but he said he has a 29 foot phoenix. 75% or 100% of the legnth, either would be a good starting point. They only come in certain legnths so you can't get too fine in estimating what you need. For the 29 foot phoenix I'd say somewhere between 22 and 25 feet would be about right. Unless he has a tower he'll have to use the wishbone style bases mounted to the cabin sides.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
To add my 1 1/2 cents worth
How many spreads you going to put out? and how many rod holders are there right now and how many more are you going to add. If your going to be one of those that want to troll 12 rods and one down the middle:confused: get a set of wishbones with the doubles and then you can add the extra set of releases, John at trophy has some interesting ways of setting these up.

If you want to just set out 2 on either side get the telescopic Top mounts and just double rig it and you can set out 2 rods on either side plus the corners on flat line clips or the "piker way" rubberbands and one down the center.

Good luck and don't let a couple of grand make the decision for you;)

Dave Sr.
"Tounge in check" and I'm going to the Lounge

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Whoops, I misread, I thought he said a 29 phoenix. On the 34 I would go for riggers in the 22 to 26 foot range, in the wishbone bases, unless he has a tower. If he has a tower I would tower mount them.

This post edited by MakoMike 04:14 PM 02/06/2008

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
nprtrodnreel wrote:

If you want to just set out 2 on either side get the telescopic Top mounts and just double rig it and you can set out 2 rods on either side plus the corners on flat line clips or the "piker way" rubberbands and one down the center.

Dave Sr.
"Tounge in check" and I'm going to the Lounge

#64 rubber bands on the flat lines
...love the sound of the pop...just before the real screams.

don

This post edited by dsedy 04:47 PM 02/06/2008

·
Registered
262 Posts
the bigger the better with outriggers on a 34 its probably more like how much do you want to spend. you definately want flybrdge mounts. probably 8 ft. the poles shpould be long enough so that when lowered they are even or extending past the transom. this will make for the best use of rod positioning and clearing when changing lures fighting fish etc. you also want them to be tall enough to preven tangles when making tight turns while trolling. do alot of measuring check out some other boats.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Let the Pros give you some ideas...

If you are going to buy either Rupp riggers or Lee riggers, both companies offer a consultation service for you to accurately size your riggers to your boat, depending on what you are looking to fish for and how. I would recommend the Rupps.... Great product.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.