NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey jerry great job here.i've always wanted to make my own plugs i just dont know how to start.i know this is alot to ask but i need to know everything.what tools do i need,what paints,epoxy,hardware,wood etc..any information would be great and much appreciated.thanks.
kujo

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just started and all I am using as far as tools are files, a Dremel, a couple wood carving tools, sand paper. I use spray paint, Krylon is good but I also use some cheap stuff too. I use flexcoat for the finish. You will also need eyes, screw eyes or wire if you're gonna thru wire, HD split rings and hooks. Netcraft or Stamina are good sources for the later. That is all you need. I like it so I will be advancing to the next step, a lathe, airbrush and possible a table mounted belt sander down the road. Good Luck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
porgyking,
that's good advice BA passed on and, as you've seen from his postings, you can do fine work with basic tools. Some of the guys heavily into plug-making also use drillpresses and combination belt & disc sanders...if you decide to get a lathe for turning plugs you'll have to decide whether to pick up a mini-lathe (somewhere around 150 to 200 bucks)or go for the full size shop models that can run up into a thousand or more...files are helpful...say, a couple of rasps for taking down wood in a hurry, gouges of varying shape & size, drawknife, awls...I know one fella that turns his plugs with a table mounted router...then again, I know two guys who do most of their carving with a couple of old jacknives & I wish I could match their level of craftsmanship...really depends on how far into it you want to get...for myself, i love to fool around with old plugs like dannys, pikies, old poppers & stuff like that...I like to take off the old finish, fill & sand the cracks, splits & gouged out parts, then redo them the way I think they oughtta be...maybe reweight them, change to single circle hook w/ bucktail...I enjoy that & I dearly love those old Heddons, Creek Chubs, flatfish, musky sized jitterbugs...I wander around to some of the old tackle Web sites and buy beaters & fix them up, so I don't mind too much when I lose one..it's not like I'm dropping near to twenty bucks on a YoZuri or one of the new exotics...
Anyhow, gald to have you aboard & drop around often...let us see what you come up with...there's a lot of wise old heads around the board & they're glad to help if you've got questions... ;) :)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.