NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cat,
Don't know that you can catch them on anything, you have to get a sandeel rake, find a sandy bottom that's accessible at low water and rake for them. You'll have to rig some kind of floatable container, tie it to your wader belt, so you have a place to put them. Take a small cooler with you with ice in it, bag the sandeels in a ziploc bag and keep them on ice.

That's the way you do it up at Race Point on Cape Cod. Hope this helps. Good Luck,
BunkerDunker

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi bunkerdunker, thanks for your research on helping me catch sand eels from a pier or anywhere,so now that i have all this information it's time for me to start out on my navagational trip. exploying an trying to find them. {sandeel rake,floatable container,small cooler withice,ziploc bags and most of all a good vision to see them...cat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cat,
That's the problem you don't see them. The technique requires you to rake deep into the sand and pull the rake for 3 or 4ft. while holding the rake perpendicularand while continuing the raking motion you gradually lift it from the sand. If you hit a "Mother Lode" of sand eels it doesn't take long, if not, the process can be tiresome.

·
Registered
843 Posts
cat 14361;
you can buy a dipnet it's3'x3' net.
you put a can of cat food in the middle or doe ball.
you use a heaver bait caster reel and rod about 7'
you lower the net down 2'or 3' in water ,went
the sand eels swim over net and you have school
over reel the net up. put them on ice.
good luck!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have to say you guys are working hard at this site with incrediable responses,that means all of us. keep up the good work,great ideas and creations....cat sandman i thank you dearly- your friend cat *************!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry never caught any from a pier. But I have raked them both in the cape and at Montauk. Go down to the sand beachs off of town ( Montauk). Look for a sand bar at low tide and rake it. Need a special sand eel rake. Its just a bunch of ice picks every 1/2 inch. One more thing ice them down and after all that hard work bass will not take them if they are more then a day old. Rake in morning fish that night and throw out eels next morning. If you think bass like fresh bunkerover frozen they are pickier about sand eels.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man i don't know how evalotion came about but i would only say that it pays to be a navagator. i thank you beachrat for your time & advice on catching sandeels from the beach. you an all others are aways willling to help so that's makes it much more easier for me to do this job correct...cat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.