NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a 20' ProLine CC hull that needs an outboard motor. I don't have tons of money to spend and for me gas consumption is a big factor. I'm a big guy (over 300#s) but after many discussions don't really know if I need a bigger engine or not?? One buddy thought a 150 would be a better choice, but several others say a ProLine is a light boat and 115 is probably more than enough. I have to measure the transom length but believe it's going to take a 25" shaft. I've seen new Suzuki 115 4 strokes for under $7,000 with the gimme 6 warrenty (HUMMM). I looked at the Evinrude ETEC but nothing in my HP range (and expensive!). Not exactly sure if now is a better time to buy than the Spring? Anybody out there wish to share their knowledge or have a hull like mine that could recommend a dependable, efficient choice for my 2008 experience?? Perhaps some suggestions (good experiences) regarding dealers in the Suffolk NY area? Thanks in advance, looking forward to reading your responses

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Can't really help you with dealer choice, but in my opinion you should go for the 150 hp range.

I have a 19.5' boat (thats what is says on the reg) with a 140 hp engine. It tops out at around 30kts, which I never do. It cruises at 19 to 22 kts below 4000 rpm.

your wieght alone shouldn't be an issue, however I can tell you that with 4 or 5 people on my boat with a full fuel tank, it takes some pushing to get her on a plain. trim tabs or a hydrofoil help, but I still wouldn't want less hp then I have.

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
747 Posts
What's the hull weight? Max H.P. rating and allowable engine weight on the stern plaque? What inlet are you going out of? Do you need the punch of a 2 stroke if you're, say, going out of Moriches or can you live with a 4 stroke if you're going out of a nice wide inlet like Rockaway? As a general rule don't go below 75% of the max H.P. on the stern plaque.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
aja
I would call or email proline I went to the boat show at the javits
and spoke to many of ob dealers then I spoke to Grady White and got a totally different story. I have a 225 on a 22 seafarer I was told 175
would be great. Grady told me different they said I should stay with 2 stroke due to weight factor and no less then 200 hp He suggested 250hp.
So imho go to the source.

Bob

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
power...

Well straight from the website on the 20's they make now, 200 is the max.

I think a 150 would be ideal all around. 2 stroke. Trying to go too small may cost you in fuel. That would be my concern with a 115 running almost full throttle to maintain the same cruise speed the 150 will provide and a decent rpm.

The Johnsons with their carbs are cheaper motors but try to get an injected motor, the money comes back to you many times over in time from better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input so far! Those of you that say try a Johnson/Evinrude 2 stroke with fuel injection any suggestions on which model? I understand the last post where fuel consumption of a 115 working at a higher rpm might be more than a 150 crusing at a lower rpm range. Most of you guys feel the same about that? No adverse to using a 2 stroke, I inderstand the weight is significantly more with a 4 stroke. Have to check the transom plate to get the max hp and regi for the weight of the boat. PS, Even if I could I doubt there will ever be 4 or 5 guys at one time on my 20'er. To little room for that many guys on my boat!! lol Three tops. fishing out of Moriches mostly

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke
(lighter weight vs. better efficiency, cleaner, quieter)
But what about the ethanol and will we still be able to buy (and repair) 2 strokes a few years from now ( ? )

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Another debate?...

pequa1 wrote:
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke
(lighter weight vs. better efficiency, cleaner, quieter)
But what about the ethanol and will we still be able to buy (and repair) 2 strokes a few years from now ( ? )

How is a 4 stroke 'more efficient' if the boat is plowing trying to plane out of the hole????.....Sort of a generalized blanket statement from a commercial or magazine advertisement. 2 strokes fire twice as often, a 4 stroke will never be able to compete with that, even with variable timing, etc. Having to go a size bigger to get a 4 stroke versus the price of 2 stroke makes them too expensive. 4 strokes are for new boat packages where there is no other choice and the power needs to be maxxed out, costly.

These power posts always turn into something that tries to compare apples to oranges by someone who got sold on a 4 stroke by a clever salesman. 2 strokes = best performance for money spent in the best way. A 4 can't do what a 2 can do.

Not sure what ethanol has to do with anything. I don't know anyone who has suffered an 'ethanol myth plague' in any motor, be it 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Moisture in boat tanks has always been something that needs tending to with filters. The ethanol just prevents extremely long term storage of fuel due to phase separation. For long time storage, feed and bleed is best to keep fuel fairly fresh, also with stabilizer and burns what comes out in the car. But I have stored fuel 3 years with no problems to report.

"Will we be able to fix motors a few years from now?" :confused: What kind of a question is that? A bad one? :confused:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm not saying that a 2 stroke is better or worse than a 4 stroke and this isn't the forum to further beat this subject to death. I take it that you are a 2 stroke fan. Great. All I was trying to convey was that there are alot of factors (including the type of engine) to be considered before buying a 13K outboard and that he should consider ALL of them.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
etec 150 is about $11,000 not including controls, OUCH. I'm looking to be a bit more conservative (Unfortunately lol). You guys definently got me thinking I need more HP than a 115 even though the ProLine is a really light boat. I have no problem buying a 2 stroke, much less money for sure. Mercury .... not very familiar with them, only guy I know who has one owns one of the models that's just a real lemon (225 hp), Put a lot of money into it and it still doesn't run well at all (wont get up out of the hole.) I've always had smaller Johnson / Evinrudes and felt good about them but realize that OMC sold because they were having some bad issues with fuel injection. Anyone suggest models to stay away from or ones they recommend. Love to find a 150 that sips gas.... got about 8 - 9 in my budget. Help.. How about whether or not it's beneficial to buy now as opposed to the Spring??

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm right there with you!

loonzter wrote:
........Mercury .... not very familiar with them, only guy I know who has one owns one of the models that's just a real lemon (225 hp), Put a lot of money into it and it still doesn't run well at all (wont get up out of the hole.) I've always had smaller Johnson / Evinrudes......

I don't usually voice my opinion on new outboards because I never bought one. however, I have never been on a boat with a merc outboard were I could say, "that enginge sounds good." I too have a friend with a two year old merc, It hesitates, stalls out, and just sounds bad. I have had a few johnsons and evenrudes over a decade old that seemed to run better.

I'm not saying that they are unreliable, and I'm sure that there are some serious merc fans out there, I just don't like how they perform...... I don't know, maybe I'm just an omc guy.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
but didn't I hear rumors that this wonderful state of ours (Nueva Yawk) would all but force us to "go green" and have to go 4-stroke becauce of the alleged cleaner running ? Thats what I meant about 2 stroke repairs a few years from now. (I have a 2 stroke and except for being noisier, have had no engine trouble with my Yamaha at all, just fuel problems.) Did not intend to hijack at all, just add to the decision making process but apparently I have it all wrong.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Given the price difference and your desire to do it for less, if speed is not also major concern go for the smaller engine. I would think it would get similar gas mileage to the bigger engine if not a bit better (not too much better). Plenty of commercial guys on that size boat would go for the smaller power. Merc used to make a 2 stroke at 125HP or so. An acquaintence had a fly fishing charter boat with that particular engine and he was very happy with it. good luck.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
if it was me id stay with the 150 for power, id stay with 2s for weight, thats a low cut out transom correct? and yeah the e-tec is $$, they dont want to deal on price. i love my 225, but it takes awhile to get the economy savings back.

if youre only gonna fish moriches bay and close outside, i think youd be better served to look for a late model 2s slightly used. theres not a lot of them, you'll have to work and maybe even travel a bit, but i think you can save a bunch if you know how to survey a slightly used engine.

you may not find an 05-07, but you may very well find a pristine 02-04 vintage for very short money. if your going to stay with new, id try the no frills guy in virginia, go down there and pick it up and rig it yourself. for used, id start looking at the various websites dedicated to single boat manufacturers. i see good deals on one site based in louisiana all the time.

one thing u didnt mention, does the craft have usable controls? a lot of the new 2s have dedicated controls that add a fair bit to the price.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Suzuki

Had them all . Last outboard was a four stroke Merc 115hp, terrible motor, poor performance ,total waste of a motor !
Current motor is a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. Nice out of the hole , good price , 6 year warranty , good on fuel.
Bought it from Jensen Marine , Linderhurst I beleive. I have family who also has bought from Jensen and service has been GREAT !
Ps. This boat leaves the dock 5 days a week year round ! Good Luck , the Claw

·
Registered
376 Posts
loonzter wrote:
How about whether or not it's beneficial to buy now as opposed to the Spring??

I repowered in 04. I shopped around several dealers and most were willing to negotiate on brand new leftover stock. They all want to sell in winter when it's slow. I ended up saving about $1500 On an 02 Johnson 2 stroke

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.