NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to spool my Shimano TLD50LRS but i dont know what size line to use. The reel is set up to fish 80 or 50lb. line but it will only hold 440yds of the 80lb. is that enough, or should i go with 50 or 60 which will hold more like 600 or 700 yards?????

·
Registered
40 Posts
LINE

I setup a few of my 50's with powerpro
and a mono top-shot of the line class , which in this case is 50# (150-200yd's of mono will do nicely).

Since PP is thinner , it allows you to
go up a line class size without sacrificing capacity, which if you don't feel comfortable with the 50# class..... go 80# PP and 80# mono topshot...

I've never had a YFT take more than 200 to 300 yds in the 100lb and below class fish trolling. Giant's are a different story however!

I use mostly TLD 25's for tuna under 100#'s, But if your "meat fishing"
and want to lock the drag down and keep the tuna in your spread to get multiple
hookup's then the larger line class will do it....

Good-Luck

BIGEYES SOON!

Jay

·
Registered
493 Posts
Generally, 200-300 yards is the most you'll ever need. However, do you want to be undergunned when the Big One hits?

I like the PP and use it on my TLD 20 & 30s. I find that 500 yards of PP and about a 100 yard topshot work out great.

For a large reel like the TLD50WLRS you might even want to go with a heavier braid, even hollow like Cortland Spectron in 130#. You can fit an entire 600 yard spool and have room for around 150 yards of 80# mono. Best yet, you can splice a loop and use loop-to-loop connections between the spectra and mono; smooth and 100% strength. No knots to get hung up in guides and you can change line in a snap.

I have a Tiagra 50WLRS that I'll probably rig soon in the same way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
line size

Hi:
440 yards x 3 feet = 1320 feet. If you fish with the rest of us then your fishing in waters anywhere from 300 to 600 feet deep. That still leaves you a comfortable margine. That TUNA goes down and he sticks his nose in the mud. U crank him back up.UGH! On 80:
IF he runs out, then your DRAG is more important. As the line goes out, line drag in the water INCREASE. Ergo you MUST slacken the drag. When he slows down you lightly retighten the drag. Experience counts here. YOu can actually wack that TUNA quickly with the right ROD,REEL and BOAT work. YOU should be able to beat ANY tuna with that knowledge. If you release fish, eh I believ that 80 is better. Why? I believe that you beat up TUNA a LOT LESS , because you can get him boatside quicker and he will have a lot less adrenaline in his blood. He can recover quicker. That's only my opinion.
Go to 50 then :
Then you will usually work the fish longer and harder. That really beats up a TUNA. If you work him to long then he will die if not revived at boatside for a LONG time. If your fishing for food then Fillet PREPARATION is more important . How you bleed and cool the TUNA begets good or bad tasting fillets.
From an ex-commercial pin hooker, I say enjoy yourself.
Joseph B. ...aka...Ancient Mariner
Keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
www.ancientmarinertackle.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.