NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about making an offshore cod trip, fishing depths of 350-400 feet. How much 50 lb braid do I need to effectively fish these depths, on anchor or drifting? I have very small hands and am uncomfortable using reels larger than 3/0 size. I have trinidads, size 16,20, and 30, filled with 50 braid. Definitely can get to the bottom with any of the 3 reels, most comfortable with the 16, but these depths take so much line, retrieving line becomes harder. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I wouldn't try it w/ less than five hundred feet, six would be better.

Straight up-and-down conditions (rare that deep) would require four hundred plus lne on the spool. drop back twice on a drift or in current, and you're past four-fifty.

Paul

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
obviously some didnt consider the answer and just wrote. Just enuf line doesnt take in the need for scope, just like anchor line. I dont take into consideration tangles and such, I use a back up reel instead, but I usually put more than enough line to cover loss and other considerations. I was thinking 300 of 50 would be sufficient.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I agree 300 yards is what I'd go with for the same reason MrX stated. Could obviously get away with less, but you should be able to get 300 yards of 50 on most if not all of those reels I think.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Willie,
I fish with my Trini 16 for cod, but never that deep before. I'd go with the 20 to be safe, but that's me. Even with the 6:1 retrieve, it gets slow going when the spools almost empty.....bring the 16 any way.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Pythagorus knew the answer

if you are fishing 400 feet with a 300 ft scope then

160000 + 90000 = 250000 now take the square root of 250000 = 500 feet

minimum. Then add for greater scope and loss in tangles say 600' = 200 yards.

300 yards of braid will do you. I have at least that much on my cod reels.

It's all about the obtuse and acute angles

C is of course dependent on the current, speed of drift and amount of lead used to hold bottom.

For what its worth, I've used a Saltiga 20 loaded with 50 lb powerpro at those depths with no problems as far as line capacity (around 300 yards)

This post edited by obtuseangler 05:38 PM 02/12/2008

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.