NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there differing opinions on how much or how little grease to pack your reels with. In my case penn 704's, 710, etc??? Or different opinions on what substance works best????

This post edited by searchin 03:04 PM 12/29/2007

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a lot of guys pack it full of marine grease but is there an advantage or disadvantage form doing it this way other then helping to prevent the backspin and subsequent hang up??? I know that it makes reeling a bit tighter.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
you can pack them tight with all the grease in the world. It will help with a dunking but its not a van staal or a zee baas so don't think it is.

It wont effect your anti-reverse or anything. If you continually dunk it you will need to clean out and then continually add grease.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I pack my Penn 706s full of grease. I also make it a point to put a bead of grease around the housing before putting the side plate on. The metal side plates on the older 706/704s make a very tight seal. The "newer" plastic side plates don't seal as well. I think all of this definitely helps the reels withstand dunkings. Penn makes a good blue grease that I'm using now. Before that I used the grease that The Surfcaster catalog sells.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use stern drive lower unit boat grease (blue) as this is the most resistant grease you will find for the salt water environment. Since I don't dunk mine (on purpose anyway), I don't over pack it and she works like a champ. I make sure it is greased with what I would call a "moderate" amount of lube. The reason I don't over pack it is for ease of cleaning. When I break it down in the winter it cleans out very easy. If I did plan on dunking the reel I would pack it heavy as many have already suggested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.