NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

For chunking, have any of you used circle hooks? Comparing them to say, O'Shaughnessy hooks or Siwash, what are the pros and cons of these hooks that you've experienced?

Bring on the info!

Soundfisher

· Registered
404 Posts
I love using circle hooks. I like the idea that I am hooking more fish on the jaw than the gut. Another plus is the Gamakatsu Circle hooks are very sharp already.

I got fish hooking themselves like fools instead of me trying to set the hook. All I do is reel in the slacks and let the fish hook itself. The other hooks gave me huge problems with skates, sharks, and bluefishs. Try taking a hook out of a bluefish or a shark in its gut?

· Registered
232 Posts
I also love using circle hooks. I haven't ever gut hooked anythign using them. My favorite one is the Octopus 7/0 circle hook. The only advice I have it to change the way that you set the hook. When I engage the reel the first thing I do is reel the line tight and then set then hook with the rod. If you just pick it up and set the hook I have a tendency to pull it right out or not get as good of a hookset. Just my opinion.

· Registered
483 Posts
Been using the Owner Mutu Light Circle hooks in 1/0 since last season. Awesome light wire hook with all the benefits of a circle; the fish catch themselves. Very strong for a thin wire hook, excellent for inshore.

· Registered
28 Posts
circle hooks

I also think circle hoos are great. It takes alittle getting use to using them but once you do they are great. I have used them on fluke with some sucess but am not completely sold on them for fluke. Has anyone tried them for fluke? I was also giong to try them on black fish. The quick hit of a black might help with the hook set. Proper hook size has been on of my concerns. Does anyone have any ideas? Lou

· Registered
2,401 Posts
When chartering in the past (Striped bass) with friends and family, I used to cringe every time and I saw a gut hooked fish … and that happened often!

Fortunately, the past few years when circle hooks were introduced… we practically had zero gut hooked fish. :)

What do I think about circle hooks for fluke or blackfish?
Well, for starters, half of the fun fishing for these critters is setting the hooks and for me, the circle hooks would take the fun out of it!

I am talking about bucktailing / jigging for fluke and setting the hook on those feisty / tricky tog! It can be done… (I've tried it… ) but I personally like the old fashioned way better! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
232 Posts
circle hooks make no sense for a fish like fluke or blackfish as the fisherman should know when the bite happens. There should rarely ever be a gut hooked blackfish or fluke for this reason. Stripers, esspecially when chunking or using a method that involves deadsticking, are the best candidate for using circle hooks in this area because as the this fish runs with the bait it can get it down deep before the hookset is made. Just my 2 cents. Tight lines.

· Registered
45 Posts
Lou, I have been tying my own Fluke rigs using the mtu light 3/0 and 4/0 circle hooks for a couple of years. Haven't had 1 gut hook! Catch a lot of fish now "dead sticking" while tending to other duties (removing my wife's fish and re-baiting her hook). You just can't set the hook with the traditional jerk, just let the line come tight and apply some pressure. Love em!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.