NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weakfish has made a nice comeback this year including jamaica bay, but can anybody please tell me about how long do they stick around our noreast waters, and where do they go when or if they leave. reply greatly apprieciated. thelambo1

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
There is a great migration that takes place each fall. It is not so much about specific dates as it is about changes in water temps and the migration of bait. Last year it was during the 2nd week of October. The schools of weakfish in the Ocean were so thick that we were jigging them three at a time with mackeral rigs. The schools move along the beaches from East to West. The few weakfish that I've tagged that have been caught again and reported back to me were in November in the Chesapeake and In December in North Carolina. Your guess is as good as mine as to how far South these schools migrate. I do know that they are more like stripers in that they prefer lower salinty levels than most species. Like stripers, the specifically hug the coast. You rarely find either species more than ten miles from shore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.