NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for information on the different fleets on how the catch is stored while on board. I plan on trying out some new fleets this year and thought this could be a good source of information for traveling fisherman.

It is nice to know if you need to bring your own cooler for fish on board, bucket for bleeding and ice, etc...

I personnaly like the potato sacks the Yankee Capts use and how they ice them down after good drifts:).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Depends on what you are fishing for, the cod boats usually store the fish for you, at least the party boats that I have fished. The classic gives you a stringer and puts the fish in the large ice boxes, and I seen others do the same. I bring large ice coolers with ice and store my own. Easiet way to do it for any fishing.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
As Willie points out, it depends on what you're fishing for, and I might add when you're going fishing. For example, many boats on Long Island provide fares w/ 5 gallon pails to store their catch. The entire Captree Fleet, Super Hawk, Celtic Quest, and Rosie are all vessels I know for sure that provide fares with pails for their bounty. During the colder months blackfishing, thats all I need and I take home fillets in the same small cooler bag that I use for my lunch. (as long as I change the water regularly) On some of those same vessels, I'll bring a cooler with ice during the warmer months to prevent anything from spoiling, or if I'm doing just a half-day I'll bring some frozen water bottles and throw them into the buckets to brine my catch with a small amount of saltwater as that tends to be more than enough. One thing I must admit is that I love it when boats ice and store your catch for you while you're aboard. Its a luxury that works well for me.

This post edited by crabcake 01:45 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
When I fish the Frances Fleet in the summer for fluke they give you a marked burlap sack like Gatorade bottle or Poland spring bottle, ect. and store the sacks on ice and each fish you get you tell the crew which bag you have and they bring the fish to the back and put it in the bag in the big cooler. They do the same thing for cod. In the fall for blackfish they carry totes and I grab on and toss my fish in there and bleed them and put some water in the totes. I know the Helen H does the same thing supplying totes as does Eastman's and the crew comes around and hoses the catch periodically.

This post edited by ckonkol 04:44 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I go bluefishing at the Race on the mijoy, they give us burlap bags that had been used to carry coffee beans. They cost $1 each and the mates cut an opening in one side. When I fish the Frances Fleet for tuna, they used colored zip ties on the fish's tail, and then throw them in the ice box.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the great info guys, hope there is a few more responses. Storring the catch is one of those things that I think should be listed on a fleets website but never is. I usually only fish marathon or overnight trips and being prepared is half the battle fishing a new fleet. I prefer a fleet who carries ice or has a place in an ice box myself. Having coolers on the deck or strapped to the seats is uncomfortable at best. In my opinion I prefer to see the coolers on the top deck if so equiped or storred out of the way. Hb

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I am working a company to provide me with insulated "Tuna Bags". Every bag will get a 5 gallon bucket full of ice. At the end of the trip the mates will filet the fish, bag them and return them back to the same bag. I hope thay come back with a price that is affordable.

I am tired of the mess the burlap bags make, we chase coffee beans around the cabin till X Mas.

This system should make for the best product possible. There is no substitution for ice for long or hot days.

Greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greg, The Tuna Bag is a great idea! I would not have a problem paying a few extra bucks on my fare as I usually use 5 plus bags on one of your trips.

"Originators,Pioneers and Leaders of Overnight Fishing Trips" That says it all. HB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.