NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I?ve argued about this topic with many fellow fishers and we have a difficult time agreeing on the same answers. What do you think ? And- why?

How do you rate a good fisherman?
Is it by?

How many big fish he /she catches?

The times he /she fishes per year?

The method/s he / she uses (fly, plug, boating, surf?etc)

Years he /she been fishing?

Species he/she targets?

The amount of times he charters a captain?

The type /expensive tackle?

The dedication to the sport?

Etc?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

G

·
interesting question.......i think i rate a good fisherman by his/her honesty and willingness to share info.....being told what does NOT work is just as good as being told what does work.....
as for consistency yes in a way,but i think someone who tries different techniques and is willing to experiment with different ideas has more to offer than someone who just continues with one method,whether that method be productive or not.......just my opinion.

capt jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good question Al and i doubt there is one clear cut answer but for me the best fisherman have been the ones with lots of experience, but experience that they USE to solve problems in fishing, nothing ever stays the same and it is those who can figure out what to do when things get tough that are better than average fisherman, or maybe they are just better than average catchers but you wouldn't want to spend more than 5 mintues with them...drive and ambition helps as does the ability to have fun while faced with a challenge, cause if it aint fun why bother??? might as well stay at work!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with Capt Jack,+ being Nice,Helpful, and willing to share their experience.There is a guy that docks near me, and he seldom gets skunked, in addition ,he will tell you what he used, and where he got the fish, he is definitely not greedy.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My thinking as to what makes a good fisherperson is the following. If they can constantly catch the species of fish they are going after, despite the conditions, time, tides, etc. and catch a significant amount of "decent" sized fish then they are good. If they catch consitant "large" size fish also helps, but with a really big fish it's sometimes just dumb luck. I'd have to say consistency despite conditions is the top quality.
Whether they're nice, helpful, shares information, etc. doesn't have any weight to whether or not they're a "good fisherman." That would be a personal attribute of a person.
Take for instance Alberto. He's obviously a good fisherman and an even better person. He's more than willing to share information and lend a helping hand.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
A good fisherman is combination of much of what you mentioned. Primarily he understands fish and is able to visualize what is happening around their hook or lure, giving him an advantage over somebody who only reacts after the fact. I tend to agree with gottog in that somebody can be a good fisherman, but a rotten human being, but fortunately, most of the better fishermen I know are willing to share.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gottog said " Take for instance Alberto. He's obviously a good fisherman and an even better person. He's more than willing to share information and lend a helping hand. "

I can vouch for what Gottog said. Alberto is always willing to share information and knowledge.
I am just waiting for him to show his generosity through sharing his plugs and whatever is in his tackle bag.

Space

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good fisherman is someone who has put the time in to study the water and his/her targeted species. Knows it's migration periods, feeding habits, and how it reacts it's environment (Tide, structure, current, weather patterns, etc.). Knows at what time of year which bait is being pursued by the targeted fish. Selects the right equipment for the job. Chooses the correct plug(s), work it correctly then be able to land the catch consistently. I don't believe the personal nature of the person fishing has an effect on his fishing capability (sharing info and such), just questions his decency

·
Registered
398 Posts
what bernoc just said.

a "good fisherman" is so tuned in to the environment of the species he targets that he almost seems to become a piece of the puzzle.

a "not so good fisherman" may catch a lot of fish by compensating for a lack of the above - with extra angling time or effort, great equipment, having a guide (who is a "good fisherman"), network of timely fishing reports, lot's of luck or "stupid fishing" (easy,can't miss fishing).

adding a detailed log over time with observation, analysis, and reasoning will enable a "not so good fisherman" to become a "good fisherman".

set,
opinari

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
A good fisherman does not leave his trash on the beach or by the pond, does not take more than his family can eat in a few days, does not misshandle fish, even if they are not the target species, and shares what he knows with others who may not know as much about fishing. It's about the fishing more than the catching.

Striper77

·
Registered
473 Posts
Striper77 2-24-02 @ 1:03 AM
A good fisherman does not leave his trash on the beach or by the pond, does not take more than his family can eat in a few days, does not misshandle fish, even if they are not the target species, and shares what he knows with others who may not know as much about fishing. It's about the fishing more than the catching.

Striper77

DITTO!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd have to say a good fisherman is 1st his dedication to the sport, 2nd how well he uses his equipment(expensive, cheap, what ever), thier willingness to go fishing even if they might not catch anything(you don't have to go to Montauk on the best boats every time), and last if he catches fish, they don't all have be huge. But lets face it if you don't catch fish than your not a good fisherman.

J.R.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of what people are describing is a "responsible fisherman".. A good fisherman is one who can do well in a situation when average fisherman can't figure it out. I consider myself an average fisherman. I have the tools to catch fish and I always prepare for big fish, but my current weakness is the ability to forecast what will happen based on wind, tide, moon phase etc.. Sure, I have my spots and I know I will catch my fair share of quality fish, but those are just spots I know and have learned along the way with experience. Going into a strange place and figuring it out takes a lot of knowledge and knowhow. So I think a good fisherman is one who has the complete package: All the hardware, all the ability, all the knowledge and an instict that can only be had from experience on the beach..

ErikT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.