NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with these little critters called crabs. I am getting my bait eaten faster than I can cut the bunker chunks. I have tried using a fishfinder rig with float; bad idea on windy days and strong currents, high and low rig; I got crabs eating the top hook. How, if anyone or you dont mind telling me what kind or what rig I can buy or make that will keep them off my hooks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wait until you get a crab ball as I like to call them..... It has happened to me twice, all last year at the Ponquogue Bridge...

I would think I have something on, when I get the line out of the water, I see a giant spider crab trapped in my line... This happened on my rod with fireline and pissed me off beyond belief because as I was reeling it in, it must've been tumbling because it was wrapped around every single leg!! Well, I lost about 15 yards of fireline because everytime I tried to undo the tangle, it would try and grab my hand, which it actually accomplished.... After cutting the line, it was easier to untangle and let the crab free, but he was missing a claw! :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went fishing today and the crabs took my bait again. Too bad you cannot eat those critters. I would have a bucket full in 2 hours today. I used 2 hooks and got crabs everytime I reel in my line. No fish because they ate or destroyed my bait. I hate them. They were spider crabs and blue claws.

$5 worth of bunker gone... :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had the same problem happened to me to. Last summer I tried floating a worm for stripe bass. Damm ... Porgy's
ate all of my worms in a short time.
Early spring and summer I avoid using bait just for that reason. Unless your on a boat then thats a different story.
Then you would just drift or troll.
I start fishing with bait late september
when the weather starts getting cooler.
Dont have any problems then.
Hey post the same question on fishing with crazy Alberto. Ask for advice over there. I'm sure he will help you out.

Local #1049

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Crabs are pretty much a way of life.

You may want to try floating your bait a little off of the bottom. That way only the more aggressive (& hungry) crabs will go for it. Sounds like it might be worth a try - haven't tried it myself but it might work.

Only other way I can think of to prevent crabs from taking your bait is not to use any.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried that last night. I still caught crabs eating my bait. The float idea is bad when the current is strong.

Here is a description of my rigs:

1.) fish finder rig with float on a 3" leader with hook.

2.) bottom rig with hook and float 14" from sinker.

The worst one was the fish finder. I was not able to feel the bite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.