NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive went blackfishing on the pasttime princess for the 7th time and im geting much better. But I always see some guys catching two times as many togs as I am. I know the most important thing is to feel the bite. What else is there. I use 15 lb teast on a 320 gti and a medhev penn power stick. Can I have some tips on catching more togs. THANKS

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Oh Great1...heehee, couldn't resist.
Well my first tip would be to go with a lil heavier line just in case a big ole whitechin decided to take your bait. 25-30lb test would be good. If you're up for the challenge, go with 30lb braided line. It'll take you a lil while to learn how to distinguish bergall bites from the tap-tap-tap-tug of a tog, but it's well worth it. Learning their tell-tale quick bite takes alot of practice. I still swing-n-miss or roll em over, but that's why its fun. You also have to be around some structure. If you or whoever is next to you isn't getting hung up, well I'd try to move or cast out a bit. When the party boats I go on aren't too packed...I hunt for the anglers that are "hung up" and fish next to them...sometimes they think you're stealing THEIR fish, but...well all's fair in love, war, and tog fishing. Also, always use fresh bait. Try not to cut up too many greens...I only cut like 3 right before we start fishing and then cut em as I need em. With tog I am a firm believer in bigger baits getting the bigger fish...granted that doesnt mean using a whole 6" green crab, but ya never know ;) Hope some of this helps...

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
272 Posts
gottog, whats up ,, just curious did u do a JJ2 trip yet,, leo
and yes bergalls do have feelings to,, went out tues. on a party boat out of point lookout for c-bass/tog trip there was some jumbo bergalls out there. later

good luck, leo

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Speaking of jumbo bergalls, I saw somebody catch a 4 pounder on a Viking Coxes Ledge trip about 20 years ago. Just what kind of feelings do bergalls have anyway? In our current politically correct society, I certainly don't want to hurt any feelings. Leo, have you made a trip on the JJ yet? The fish should be getting wound up about now and I am itching to go.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
272 Posts
gottog, disregard that message for the JJ2, that was meant for gamakatsu, sorry for the confusion.
gama, i did go about 2 weeks ago, they were around but the porgies were so thick & insane, it was hard to avoid them, i was catching them on large halves of crab & on empty hooks, the whole trip was non stop extra large scup. I might try to go in 2 weeks (alot of stripers in the surf right now). that 6:30am departure time is going to be murder,,

good luck, leo

This message was edited by leo on 10-31-01 @ 4:52 PM

·
Registered
10 Posts
The type of hook is very important. A very long time ago I started fishing with my cousin for black fish. I was using any type of hook that I had in my box. He was outfishing Me 6 to 1. He informed me that I need to use the correct hook for blacks. When I made the switch me rate of catching improve drastically. You want to be using a Virginia style hook. I like the Mustad 4011E hook. I use to use a smaller size #6 but I experienced alot of broken hooks on those jumbo fish we all look to capture. I now us a #4. Since the switch I have not had any hooks break due to the larger wire. You may miss some of the smaller fish but I consider this an acceptable tradeoff.

Happy Fishing

·
Registered
110 Posts
PASTIME IS A GOOD BOAT (BUTCH).THE BEST ADVICE IS TO WATCH THE REGULARS.THE BITE VARIES.YOU MUST WAIT FOR THE RIGHT BITE.THE BERGALL BITES YOU TALK ABOUT COULD BE BLACKFISH BUT IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO LEARN.THE BEST BAIT TO USE ARE CALICO OR JONAH CRABS NOT GREENS.I USE 2/0 OWNER HOOKS.DO NOT KEEP YOUR LINE TO TIGHT THIS WILL MOVE THE BAIT.PUT ALITTLE SLACK IN YOUR LINE,WAIT FOR THE RIGHT BITE,THEN WACK HIM HARD.REMEMBER WATCH THE REGULARS AND LEARN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.