NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Your heat and hot water are on seperate zones and will function seperatley.

Do you have a "poor mans" HW heater? IE a 6 gal storage built in to your boiler. If so, you may need to "bang the coil". In other words loosen up the sediment that builds up in the coil.

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
Lattitudechange wrote:
Your heat and hot water are on seperate zones and will function seperatley.

Do you have a "poor mans" HW heater? IE a 6 gal storage built in to your boiler. If so, you may need to "bang the coil". In other words loosen up the sediment that builds up in the coil.

If it's a hot water heater, most likely the heating element burned out. Not a big deal to change it. Shut off the water to the heater, drain it and take the little panel off. Unscrew the elements and replace them. You'll see the burned out one, but best to replace them both.

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
bill123 wrote:
boiler with hot water coil,can you change the coil? or should i install seperate water heater tank

thanks

Oh..............typed when you posted...........

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Another advantage to the separate HWH is that you don't need to run your boiler year round. If you are going for a new HWH there are currently "On Demand" systems which are VERY efficient and there are rebates available on them as well. If I had to go for a new HWH that is the way I would go.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Scott1280 wrote:
Another advantage to the separate HWH is that you don't need to run your boiler year round. If you are going for a new HWH there are currently "On Demand" systems which are VERY efficient and there are rebates available on them as well. If I had to go for a new HWH that is the way I would go.

He has the most efficient way now he needs a bigger storage tank he has an indirect hot water heater which are the most efficient, On demand are the least efficient HWH

·
Registered
912 Posts
You said you had a tankless coil. If, when you open the hot water side of a faucet, the water just dribbles out, then you need to have the coil flushed with acid. The lime is closing up the coil. If you still have good volume of water, and it is cold, then you probably have a thermostatic mixing valve that isn't functioning properly. The valve can be serviced or replaced.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
bill123 wrote:
boiler with hot water coil,can you change the coil? or should i install separate water heater tank

thanks
You can remove the coil and clean it. That's why I mentioned banging it first. I would only replace it if it was completely corroded.

I wouldn't add a separate hot water heater, I would add a separate storage tank. It still uses the coil to heat the water but will give you more reserve. Most complaints about tankless heaters are that they run out of hot water. If they are clean and the boiler is running at at least 80% efficiency, then it should keep up with the demand.

Adding a separate heater will cost you more in electric and fuel. Why have two burners running, when one you only need in the morning or night?

·
Registered
634 Posts
It might be the shut off valves not the coil. I thought my coil was bad a few yrs back. Tried to have it flushed ultrasonically & still ng. Replaced coil(a pain in the arse snapped 3 bolts) still had no h/w. I then realized that the shut off valves for my system were corroded shut. replaced them & all was good.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1st we need to establish how old your boiler is? If it is 8-10 years old forget about replacing the coil because you will only snapp bolts & that aint no picnic.
#2 You can add another zone to your boiler & install a indirect super store tank (sized according to demand) that are very efficent but do require quite abit of work & also some electrical work.
#3 You can still use your coil & just install a storage tank with a circulator & slowly make water with a reserve (this is the cheapest way to go & works well)
#4 you can install a instant hot water heater that has no reserve & makes hot water on demand either in electric or gas (natural or propane)very efficent unless you have a very high demand? YOU CAN LOOK UP EMAX HEATERS OR TAKAGI HEATERS
BILL123 I am a licensed master plumber & can give you the correct info just PM me if you would like

Attachments

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
Scott1280 wrote:
If you are going for a new HWH there are currently "On Demand" systems which are VERY efficient and there a]re rebates available on them as well. If I had to go for a new HWH that is the way I would go_On demand are the least efficient HWHseems to me that on-demand is more efficient overall since it only heats the water ONCE and no energy is expended keeping it hot in a large tank. How efficient can the in-line system be in the summer when the furnace is running solely for the purpose of heating water, and not the home?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no. i wont be able to do something until my day off,working double shifts until then and i am getting use to cold showers, it really wakes you up in the morning.but thanks for all the help

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
SORTIE wrote:
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
Scott1280 wrote:
If you are going for a new HWH there are currently "On Demand" systems which are VERY efficient and there a]re rebates available on them as well. If I had to go for a new HWH that is the way I would go_On demand are the least efficient HWHseems to me that on-demand is more efficient overall since it only heats the water ONCE and no energy is expended keeping it hot in a large tank. How efficient can the in-line system be in the summer when the furnace is running solely for the purpose of heating water, and not the home?

Sortie read this link it explains it allany plumber will agree its the most efficient way to heat DHOW

http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/96/960510.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.