NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. This is a discussion that I thought I would have seen by now, but haven't so I guess I'll put the question out there because I'm real curious to know everyone's response.

I'm looking to purchase a new stand-up rod and reel this spring. I was going to purchasing my first GOLD set up this year....looking into getting a 50TW (until now I've been fishing with 9/0 Penns & Diawa's)

When guys were talking about getting this board up and going, some guys were talking about how people out west "hot rod" 30's & 50's to get performance like a 50 or 80. It makes sense to have a lighter, smaller reel...especially for stand-up.

My question is, what is involved in "hot rodding" a reel (obviously, the drags..but what kind??), and is it worth it to buy say a 30TW and "hot rod" it to perform like a 50TW?

Has anyone done it?? What were the results??

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Finaddict,
From what I've read it is expensive and IMHO not worth it. Maybe if you were doing long range in southern CA off a big boat, which is what these reels were made for, it might be worth it. I fish 80Ws on my stand up rods and even the ladies have no trouble handling them. 50Ws are a piece of cake and you can spool them with 80 if you want some extra insurance.

===MakoMike===

G

·
Go to the Allcoast Sportfishing Forums Tackle Page. Look in the archives and you will find anything you want to know about hot rodding reels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I don't have a problem handling a 50 or 80, I was just wondering if there were any benefits to using, say a "worked" 30 over a stock 50.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The process is called "blueprinting" and squeezes incredible performance out of stock Penns and Shimanos by increasing the freespool and maxiumum drag. A blueprinted Penn 30SW can spin for 2 minutes and give you enough drag to fish 100# test (33# drag). You won't get that from a stock Penn reel.

If you don't already have the gold reel, I'd suggest that you buy a Tiagra 20, 30, 30WLRS or 50WLRS; each is capable of fishing up to 80# line, 100# for the 50WLRS. They're all built for west coast style fishing (where casting a bait is important, even with a 50-sized reel) and get great freespool out of the box without having to spend upwards of $100.

If you intend on trolling only and will use say, 50# line on a 50-sized reel then get a stock, non-blueprinted reel.

The west coast style tricked out reel has it's place, even on the east coast, especially for the standup fisherman. When you have to hold the reel all day (like chunking), it's more comfortable. With the advent of spectra, why lug around the extra weight? I can fish all day with my converted TLD30 reel (40oz.!) and use up to 100# line. Holds 500 yards of 80# spectra and a 50 yard topshot. It's smaller, narrower and more comfortable reel to fish all day long fishing standup style; no side-to-side wobble like when I'm cranking on a 50W.

BTW, the capacity of the Tiagra 30WLRS is 570 yards of 50# test and it gets a 28# max drag at the strike setting, but weighs 30 oz. less than the Tiagra 50. Disclaimer: I'm partial to this reel since I own one.

Hope this helps,
PC

This message was edited by crag on 2-27-02 @ 10:44 AM

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
By the way the Penn 30's and 50's come with an extra set of drag springs(very easy to install) so you can get the drag you want when using, say 50lb. line on a Penn 30 or 80lb line on a Penn 50. Braided line on these reels is very expensive. I Have braided on 2 Penn 15LD's and it cost me $50.00 each! I have never used it but when refill time comes up I will look into HiSeas Black Widow. It is advertised as being very thin, thus more line capacity on your reels.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crag has done his homework and is exactly correct. I own 4 "Blueprinted" reels. Two TLD30II
and two Intl 30's. When fishing stand up I need them. There is no comparison. In my mind a 50 is too heavy for stand up. Even the most expirienced angler can tire fast and they wabble. With today's reels and the things mechanics can do to them we shouldn't have more than 40 oz. in our hands. I just sent 2 Everols 30/50 "Water Tight" reels out west to see what can be done. Trolling is another story. RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.