NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the early 1970's My dad and I were weekend fishermen on the long island sound out of Smithtown Bay. We would launch our boat out of Kings Park or Long Beach. Always arriving at the ramp before sunrise, my dad, having spent the previous week preparing, was always well organized and prepared with bait, tackle, and a game plan. We would always catch fish. Unfortunately my dad died in 1978 at 52 yrs after a 2 year fight with cancer, I was 15 at the time

The Long Island Fisherman (LIF) was always read by both of us cover to cover. Recently, I happened upon a three ringed binder filled with LIF articles from that time period. There are articles by Zac Grossman, William Muller, Bob Schavel, Doc Grell, Matt Ahern to name a few. They are great reads that my dad felt were worth keeping.

Like his fishing tackle, the articles were organized meticulously. Dividers separated the articles by species.. Blackfish, Bluefish, Porgy, Flounder, Fluke, Weaks, Striped Bass. Another section had articles on terminal tackle and knots. Another section, and in my opinon the most interesting , is a very detailed series on plug building by Jack "The Professor" Frech. After reading the plug building articles and seeing the plug layouts drawn to scale and with cross sections I couldnt help but reflect on those days. I thought you surf guys, who are always posting reports, would enjoy them. He has detailed intructions for the "W-Y" Popper, the Montauk Darter, the Xtra large Montauk Darter, the Banana, the Slider (Skipper), the Diver, the Ballistic, the Beluga, the Jointed Eel, and the Light Weights. He shares his craft with the readers by offering dimensions, the outlines, and cross sections that are actually drawn to scale on the pages of the fisherman.
Back then it was the written word and diagrams that we would wait for anxiously to arrive in the mail or at the local stationary store. Today, through use of the internet-and sites such as this, we have sooo much info available to us, yet few things I have read online compare to the quality of the information provided in these early 70's articles from the LIF. He titled his series "ADDICTIVE DRUGS - Homemade Plugs" Attached in the images is a sample of one of the plugs - the Banana. (I hope it comes out - i may have to shrink it).

After reading the series my Dad had saved, I googled Jack Frech and spent time reading about his accomplishments and contributons to surf fishing. He really was an innovator and not selfish about sharing -alot like many of you guys with your posts. I want to scan and share them all, but I am apprehensive for fear of copyright infringement. I have tried to find a point of contact for the Fisherman to see if I had to get their permission to show this stuff, but I have not gotten replies. So, it is in the good spirit of Jack "the professor Frech, that I offer one of the how to article he authored. Lets see if you get addicted to it - Plug Building.

Regards, Kurt
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I remember that series in the LIF. Man how I wish I saved it too!!!
These articles have surfaced from time to time on other sites and it's always cool to see them again!!!

How would you like to have me scan them to PDF for posterity?? LOL

Post the DARTER article!!!

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

I too had loose leaf binders of all those articles that interested me especially everything Matt Ahern wrote as I was and still am a big disciple of his.

Then one day while cleaning out the garage I must have said how long can I keep this stuff here taking up space. I knew my children would not be interested.

What a loss and reading this post makes me wish I had not been so determined to make room in the garage.

I actually turned down a couple of those plugs after making templates. A very good friend, an excellect surfcaster, fine tuned the plugs and caught many fish using them. I think he may still be using them.

Neil

·
Registered
302 Posts
Capt. Neil, I believe I have them on my computer, not sure of the format. I know that they were zip files, but I converted them to either .pdf or word documents. If you want them I can send them to you.

tony

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
tpoliti wrote:
Capt. Neil, I believe I have them on my computer, not sure of the format. I know that they were zip files, but I converted them to either .pdf or word documents. If you want them I can send them to you.

tony

Hi Tony, would you mind sending a copy of them in my direction as well???
I would appreciate it!!! :):):):):)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darter article...
Now I know why he had the nickname "The Professor".

Willy, you say you have some of his tools. Do you happen to have any of the Jigs he used, like the one he talks about in his Darter article?

I will try and get the series of articles scanned to a .pdf next week while at work. You can email to see how that worked out.
[email protected]

Regards, Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Willy,
That's awesome.

Can you take a few pics of the jigs and post them? I Would love to see them. Are they brass or cast iron? Is Jack a relative of yours? How did you aquire some of his tools? Do you have some fishing stories with Jack?
Regards, Kurt

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My fondest memorys of Jack were not about fishing, but rather times I spent together with Jack, his wife,my wife and our two sons and a young sister inlaw during summer vacations at Nantucket. He showed us how to have a beach cook out with corn,clams, steamers which we dug and some typ of meat which I cannot recall.
Durning world war two , Jack was a Lieutenant in the first marine division, first regiment. One of there history making battles, of which Jack was part of , was on an island in the pacifie where they were droped off and the navy left to fight the enemy in the jungle often hand to hand. In the end the Island was won and the myth that the enemy were the best solders in the world was broken.
After the war Jack became a principal in the Great Neck school system, also buiding a second home in Southold on the sound, some of it wih his own hands.
Whatever Jack did he gave 100%.
Back in the sixtys most lures used for surfcasting left alot to be improved on. Out of this necessity Jack developed a 3 oz. Montauk Darter,an exter large montauk darter, the banana, the slider, a diver, a jointed eel, a plastic popper, the fancy paints, and the ballistic Jack and fishing.
Willie

This post edited by willyyoung 06:29 PM 02/16/2008

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.