NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Homemade Gaff..?

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  CaptPaul 
#1 ·
Interested in making a Homemade Gaff.
Anyone ever try this?? What is used to wrap the gaff hook to the Handle??

This post edited by NewLove 12:12 PM 06/18/2008

#2 ·
most wrapped gaffs ive seen appear to be wrapped with a wire similiar to the the single strand wire we use for sharkin..im not sure i would want to use a homemade gaff on sharks unless i had no choice

#3 ·
Use an old hockey stick...

Just made a new one two weeks ago. I used one of my old hockey sticks (Sherwood PMP 5030) and cut it down near the blade. I bought a gaff hook online (I believe it was a Mustad -- they come in 3 different sizes) and drilled a small hole near the bottom of the stick. Gaff hook has a 90 degree point at the top. Just insert into the new hole and do a wrap of electrical or duck tape and you are done. Voila! A cheap gaff that also floats if dropped over board...

#4 ·
For a quick and dirty, yet effective homemade gaff using the Mustad hooks, drill the hole for the "spike", then add a couple of hose clamps (tightening thingy face out). Wrap with electrical tape and you are all set.

Or, buy one of the new, very nice Aftco fiberglass gaffs and fish in style ....

#5 ·
canyonfvr wrote:
most wrapped gaffs ive seen appear to be wrapped with a wire similiar to the the single strand wire we use for sharkin..im not sure i would want to use a homemade gaff on sharks unless i had no choice

Single strand huh...Good idea, maybe even thin braided cable (won't kink)
This will be used for inshore species, not the big boys.

Any other ideas?? Would really like to get my hands on some Calcutta Bamboo

#6 ·
Rod Blank Piece

I built a gaff with a 3' piece of an old rod blank. I filled it with expanding foam so it would float. I wrapped the hook with two coats of braided line then a coat of epoxy. For the handle I use some EVA foam for the handle. There is some rod building thread for decoration.
One tip I can give you is a smaller gaff hook is easier to gaff fish. I do use an Aftco gaff for big game.
You can see the gaff I made in this photo. Fortunately there is a fish in the way of the hook.
Rob

Here is a second photo. My custom spiral wrapped rods are also in the shot.

This post edited by robsavino 02:27 PM 06/18/2008

Attachments

#9 ·
HABS wrote:
Just made a new one two weeks ago. I used one of my old hockey sticks (Sherwood PMP 5030) and cut it down near the blade. I bought a gaff hook online (I believe it was a Mustad -- they come in 3 different sizes) and drilled a small hole near the bottom of the stick. Gaff hook has a 90 degree point at the top. Just insert into the new hole and do a wrap of electrical or duck tape and you are done. Voila! A cheap gaff that also floats if dropped over board...

The best gaff I ever used was one of Rick Edzel's old hockey sticks. I wouldn't want to stick a mako with one, but they're great for just about anything else, including tuna. One word of advice...stick to the wood sticks. Anyone who watches the NHL can tell you that these fancy new sticks break way to easily!

#14 ·
One inch or inch-and-a-quarter closet dowel, or a fiberglass rod base, or an old antenna, or an old net handle w/ a dowel inserted. Don't use bamboo, it will shatter- You need calcutta for this application. Buy a gaff hook and drill a hole for the set tang, slightly smaller if it is a wooden handle. Hammer the tang in, or set it in a dab of adhesive (PL, Liquid Nails, 5200, epoxy, wood glue, etc.) If the material is machinable, make a small notch at the end to receive the hook where it bends out, to help it register. Wrap it w/ a light nylon or cotton line (Something the diameter of a bootlace is overkill), as you would wrap a rod guide.Soak it w/ varnish or polyurethane, or paint or stain. You just need something to set it in place. Epoxy will fail after exposure to the sun.

I've made dozens this way, for everything from dogs to tuna, and they see plenty of service, and never fail. And you don't need to worry about your line getting caught on a hose clamp.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.