NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys make your own bucktails? I have
a friend who does in the winter, and at $4 a pop,
it seems like a good idea. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Tying bucktails is how I pass the winter months when there is no fishing or hunting to do. That and outdoor shows keep the cabin fever away. It is probably cheaper to buy than to tie after you figure in all the equipment. You can buy some really nice bucktails for $4 a piece.

·
Registered
404 Posts
call me cheap, but i wouldn't pay $4 for a bucktail unless it came with a jar of porkrinds.

thadeus, why don't you just "borrow em" from your buddy? works for me.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
There isn't much "equipment" needed to make a bucktail jig. You need to find high quality bucktail material, that's the key. They use some heavy fly tying thread or even rod thread and some head cement of even clear nail polish (I prefer the head cement as it penetrates better).

Some kind of vise helps to hold the jig head but you can get an inexpensive used vise almost anywhere. Some guys even make a vise out of vise-grip pliars.

The difficult thing IMO is to get the jig heads. You either have to make your own which involves lots of equipment and a reliable source of lead, or buy them and they gets expensive too unless you're buying them in really large bulk.

If you use (and loose) lots of bucktails it may be worth your time. Otherwise store bought or "friend borrowed" is probably better.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.