NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I've learned how to make my own jig & lure molds by using floor leveling compound. Now I have another question.
I want to make larger jigs (Cod jigs). Would large jigs made from regular lead hold up well, or would they bend and whatnot very easily?
I know I've heard about different types of lead (hard, soft, etc), but I don't know the difference. Is there a certain type of lead that I should use, and if so, where can I find it?
Also, I've heard something about using different types of metal (I think bismuth was one of them). Is using a different type of metal another option? And again, if so, where can I find it?
Thanks for any info,
Steve

~spinfreak~

This message was edited by spinfreak on 3-3-02 @ 11:59 AM

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not sure about the different types of lead but I would suspect that in order to make lead harder another metal would have to be added.

Even if this is not true, what is the melting point of this harder lead?

Do you have the right equipment to melt it or any other material you decide to use?

I buy my lead and other metal at scrap metal facilities. It can be purchased by the pound. This price varies by what the going rate is for the metal at the time.

redranger

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an industrial propane burner that I use to make sinkers, shad darts, etc...
I know where to get regular, plain old lead, but I was wondering about other tyes of lead/metal to use if regular lead wouldn't hold it's shape. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the lead used in tire weights is different than sinker lead. Can anybody give any info on this?
I'm almost positive that I heard bismuth can be used. I think I remember hearing that it is harder than lead, slightly heavier, and has a lower melting point than lead (if I recall correctly, somewhere around 550 degrees or so).

~spinfreak~

G

·
I use regular "Junk Lead" IE: old tire weight balancers, lead pipes, fittings, etc & the 14 oz cod jigs & Crippled Herring clones that I make dont bend unless you make them bend...like pushing on them on the edge of a workbench or whatever.

Maury "Raven"

PS : Anyone wanting to learn how I make a mold from floor leveling compound needs to look under the subject "Silver Bullets" below

This message was edited by Raven on 3-3-02 @ 2:15 PM

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I guess if the jigs ever did happen to bend, it's no big deal, and you can just melt them again.
I'll just use regular lead for now.
Anybody know about using bismuth (or anything else) for making jigs?
~Thanks again~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody know where I can order jig and lure accessories? (eyelets, hooks, etc).
There is a shop nearby me (jersey), but they are rather expensive (I also don't like this shop).

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wheel weights are lead & tin.

IF you want the lead hard mix
in some tin.

And add a touch of bee's wax
that will combine the two
together.

OR just use all wheel weights
If you can get your hands on
enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SF, Shark River mail order, (srmo.com)has the best prices on everything,lures, molds, melting pots, rods reels, you name it. I buy from them and have not seen lower prices anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.