NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was walking though Chinatown last week when I spotted a couple of smaller sized blackfish on ice at a fish store/stand.
Fish looked "close" might have been 13.5" or so.
Was going to purchase it ($3 lb) to measure it, but it was bought before I had the chance to do so.
This reminded me of a promise I made last year during one of the threads about Blackfish and the Live Market.
I offered to lead a trip through Chinatown to look for Blackfish and see how many we could find, and try to locate some short fish.

Well, its prime time to go looking.
Chinese New Year is today, and people will be celebrating at the restaurants.
Tanks will be full of product for the next week or two.

So lets pick a day and go hunting for the mystical tog in Chinatown.
After the search, we can partake in some of the fine culinary delights the area has to offer.
A Saturday or Sunday would be best for most,
if you are interested, let me know which date works best for you;
Feb - Sat 9 Sun 10 Sat 16 Sun 17
This is an easy area to reach by public transportation for anybody in the tri state area and beyond.

We will explore parts of Chinatown the tourists rarely ever visit,
where you are most likely to find the elusive Tog.

Stops will be made at the local wholesalers and fish stores/stands to search for Blackfish

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While tiny compared to Live Markets in other parts of the world,
there are enough spots to search for live fish

This post edited by HungryJack 02:54 AM 02/07/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While sometimes in plain site and easy to spot

At times you can walk right by them and not even know.
That is why you need an experienced guide able to hone in on their mystical powers to zero in on their locations :)

Do you see any Tog for sale at this restaurant ?

Look again at the picture above, lower left tank,
see that little white mark...

Add a little illumination and there are the mystical Tog :)

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides searching for the Blackfish,
you can take care of some basic needs and grocery shopping at the same time.

Shave and a bowl cut ?

Need your shoe repaired, many choices both indoors and out

This post edited by HungryJack 03:25 AM 02/07/2008

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will build up an appetite walking around searching for Tog,
which can be satified along the way

At the end of our hunt, we will have many options for delicous dinner

Those of you uncomfortable with something new.
Have no worries, old faithful is available too

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Definitely outdone yourself on this one Jack! WOW!

Thats the finest investigative reporting on a fishery issue that I have ever seen anyone has done! Incredible work, and I tip my cap to you for spending that much time taking such in depth pictures of the area, so everyone who does not understand what is going on in Chinatown, realizes that this is not a small localized area. It happens to be pretty large.

As you know Jack, we have the area around AVE U in Brooklyn, along with the area in Sunset Park and 8th ave from the 50s through 60th street that have live fish display tanks. Also in Flushing on and around the Northern Blvd area in Queens you can find similar shops.

The whole thing now is that many of the end users now hide their 'specical' product in tanks that are not publicly displayed and can only be requested by the locals who speak the language. The special product happens to be the 'short' fish such as the live blackfish, cod and sea bass.

Now this is not a bash at these communities but as we can see a noticeable part of their culture, the buying and eating of live fish (of course cooked).

Jack as always you bring some reality to the situation, and I hope we can get a tour going, leaving out of Brooklyn soon. Since today is Feb 7, Chinese New Year, and the celebration of the Year of the Rat, many will consume these fine delicacies, and the scarcity of this product at this time of the year will begin.

If you want to put a list up of guys wanting to me, start it here with a time and meeting place. This is something I would like to take a day off from work from to view in person, especially by a experienced guide like yourself.

Again, outstanding work!

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
One picture had Sheepeshead, middle top, and Yellow Tail Snapper,(right below the S/H) thought I was seeing things as they are mostly a Florida Fish.

Got to go, Baitfishing today for a trip on Friday, going after those Yallow Tails bigger brothers, which can get up a round the 5-6 pound mark and great eating.
Great idea Jack if I was there I would be in one this one.

This post edited by baywatch 06:49 AM 02/07/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Happy Newyear

]!!! Happy Newyear !!![/b

HJ do you have access to any of the non-public holding tank areas in China town?

I believe a couple of shots in there would show MANY more than just a few in some fish tanks.

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Don't even have to go into the city.
I can take you to a place right across from St John Univ. And see tanks filled with Tog and Bass. Not happy there......down town flushing is only a jump away.

Good job on the Pictures Jack

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Gaucho wrote:
Don't even have to go into the city.
I can take you to a place right across from St John Univ. And see tanks filled with Tog and Bass. Not happy there......down town flushing is only a jump away.

Good job on the Pictures Jack

Maybe this field trip could take place in multiple locations simultaneously. The blackfish market wouldn't know what hit them!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Awesome.

Most interesting thing to me was that one pic with the whole Golden Tiles next to the Kingfish, and then the Golden Tile heads next to them. HHmmmmmm, Tilefish stock anybody?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Nice job Jack. You started out my day with a big laugh. If I was in the northeast I would be there for your tour. I have not been to NYC since 1986.

That yellowtail price is excellent. It is double that here in Key West.

Greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
I drove through China Town last Summer around 8am and everyone was headed to work. My 7 year old daughter asked me if we where in a different country! When I was in Hong Kong compliments of the Navy I was absolutely amazed of not only the sights but the smell. If you think Chinatown is interesting you should go to Korea as the open air markets are a cure for obesity. HB

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KNOTME wrote:
HJ do you have access to any of the non-public holding tank areas in China town?

I believe a couple of shots in there would show MANY more than just a few in some fish tanks.
Yes, I can bring the group to a few wholesalers to view their inventory. Just not proper to photograph these locations out of respect for the business owner and his business.
They would have no problem with you viewing their stock.

The amount of fish in the tanks is really not the point,
but WHAT is in the tanks I think is.

I can bring you to some places you never would think have people or fish in them.

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hairbone wrote:
I drove through China Town last Summer around 8am and everyone was headed to work. My 7 year old daughter asked me if we where in a different country! When I was in Hong Kong compliments of the Navy I was absolutely amazed of not only the sights but the smell. If you think Chinatown is interesting you should go to Korea as the open air markets are a cure for obesity. HB
Your daughter is lucky to have the opportunity to be exposed to a different culture and way of life. For most people, the only exposure to another culture might be a trip to Disneyland Epcot center to see their version of foreign countries.

By foreign standards, our ethnic markets are tiny and fragmented.
In most other countries, the food and vegetable markets are very large and much more interesting.
I always try and visit the fish and vegetable markets for any country I might visit, always a unique experience.

While Chinatown might not be able to compete with some open air markets around the world,
there are a few stores I could bring you too that would give you a run for your money when it comes to grossing you out with what is offered for sale. :)

First and Oldest Dim Sum Restaurant in NY
Scenes from the recent Spiderman Movie were filmed inside

This post edited by HungryJack 10:35 AM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Very cool pictorial, Jack-o. The Boston Chinatown does not compare. I'm really not thrilled seeing all that dead baby tilefish, though. Where do they come from? Bycatch of the baby whiting fishery? ;)

1 - 20 of 309 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.