NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Hi - Lo rigs or fishfinder for Clams?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sandman 
#1 ·
What is the consensus for rig preferences for the surf, hi-lo or fishfinder? I have always tied my own rigs using a fish-finder but never Hi-Lo.

#2 ·
HI-LO is the way to go!

I've had far more success with hi-los than fish finders, though I can't say I know exactly why.

You can definitely feel the hits a lot quicker and I think the hook sets a faster with the hi-lo. I think you can cast further and more easily with the hi-lo. I also like giving the fish a choice by putting clam on the top hook and a chunk of bunker (heavier) on the bottom.

Just my two cents.

AtomAnt.

#4 ·
try using one hook instead of two. I like to make 6" to 8" dropper loop in the middle of the entire lenght of the leader favor closer to the bottom of the rig if you use long leaders. Using two swivels, one connecting your leader to main line, and the other on top of the the sinker will also give you less line twist when fighting a fish or retrieving your line.

#5 ·
jmc. on the hi /low rig try make a
short dropper loop of 6 "with the hook.will not wrap aroundthe main line.
make it up sink over hand knot .
up 6'"make a dropperloop of 6"
next12"up to 6"dropper loop.
up 6"to swivel. make sure you use only
leader material not fishingline!!!!!!!

#9 ·
used to use fish finder rig....then tried hi lo....like some others..had very positive results....cast further, give choice of bait, hit two difference depths. hardly use fish finders anymore...even though every article will always say fish finder for surf...bad part is hi lo is not easiest rig to make..for me at least....pre tie them at home ...

use 50lb Seaguar flourocarbon for leader..start with 6 feet of leader.at top tie swivel..then 6-8 inch down tie dropper loop, then another dropper loop 6-8 inch down...and then at end a loop to attach sinker. when done it will measure about 3 feet in length...just make sure your dropper loops are big so you can get hook on after your done....I like 5/0 gamakatsu siwash hooks on my rig....

hope that helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.