NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
My best way to catch the winter herrings is using a sabiki rig, aka "fish skin rig". I have been using it and is catching 4 to 5 fish each time. I am not saying this is the only way or stuff to use. I am sure everyone here has their favorite lure or rig.

I tried a shad dart on ultralight tackle and it works too. I caught herrings with rigs I learned to make from the fellow fisherman here. There are many herring rigs out there in the stores, so make sure you ask the which one is better and buy a few because you will lose a few when going for them now. Dress warm and dont stay outside too long.

No fish is worth catching a cold. :)
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Herring rigs bought in tackle shops can set you back as much as $2.50 to $3.25 each! I've gone to a few fishing flea markets and fishing/outdoor Expos and have bought the same rigs for 4 for $5.00. Some like to attach those little glow sticks (attach near the top or between the top and second hook, green or purple seem to work best)or shiney Mylar or prismatic plastic (attached at the top of the rig) to it as well. It seems that the more colorfull and reflective the better. Attach a Diamond Jig weight to the bottom between 1 to 3 oz. drop the rig to the bottom and just jig up and down three or four times, find the bottom and jig again. When the herring are there, you'll catch two to four per drop. When they're not there, they're just not there. They seem to come and go at will, each run could last for as short as 15 or 20 minutes or as long as 2 hours or so. There's no telling with them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Herring rigs bought in tackle shops can set you back as much as $2.50 to $3.25 each! I've gone to a few fishing flea markets and fishing/outdoor Expos and have bought the same rigs for 4 for $5.00. Some like to attach those little glow sticks (attach near the top or between the top and second hook, green or purple seem to work best)or shiney Mylar or prismatic plastic (attached at the top of the rig) to it as well. It seems that the more colorfull and reflective the better. Attach a Diamond Jig weight to the bottom between 1 to 3 oz. drop the rig to the bottom and just jig up and down three or four times, find the bottom and jig again. When the herring are there, you'll catch two to four per drop. When they're not there, they're just not there. They seem to come and go at will, each run could last for as short as 15 or 20 minutes or as long as 2 hours or so. There's no telling with them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Basically you start with supersatuated salt and water solution and soak the fillets in this for about an hour or so. Then drain the fillets without rinsing and add them to a vinegar, sugar and spice solution that you have boiled and cooled down. Add some onions and/or peppers into the solution as well. I have done this twice and both time it's been really good. The second time I used red wine vinegar instead of white vinegar and added a little sweet white wine I had leftover from a dinner. As far as spices go you can use pre-mixed pickling spices, garlic, black pepper corns, dried chili pepper(if you like it hot). Good Luck - it's hard to screw this one up ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
This was posted by "sudds" on dec 29. I have used this recipe twice already, and it is the best pickled herring that i have ever had. The only thing, is to use about one and a half times the amount of brine (the vinegar brine, not the water brine), because the amount called for in the recipe doesn't cover the fish enough.

"This is the best one yet obtained from The Wainscott Seafood Cookbook. 1 pound salt, 1/2 gallon cold water, 1 pound herring fillet, cut into 2 inch pieces, 1 teaspoon mixed pickling spices, tied into cheesecloth, 1/3 cup of sugar, 11/2 cups white vinegar, 1/2 medium onion, sliced into thin rings, 1 medium green or red bell pepper, sliced into thin rings, 1 small bunch of fresh dill, coarsely chopped

1. In a large bowl thoroughly dissolve salt in cold water. Add herring pieces and brine in the refridgerator for 45 minutes. Drain and discard brine. Return drained herring to bowl and store in the refridgerator.

2. In a saucepan bring pickling spices,sugar, and vinegar to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool. Pour over herring and stir. 3. Mix in onion, bell pepper, and dill.Cover and store in refridgerator, stirring occasionally, for three days until cured. Serve as a salad coarse or starter. Keeps up to 1 week in the refridgerator.

PICKLED HERRING IN SOUR CREAM

Drain pickled herring mixture in collander, discarding pickling liquid and spices. Turn mixture into a bowl and add enough sour cream to coat fish thoroughly."

~spinfreak~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.