NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With herring pretty easy to catch now is it worth catching and freezing them to use in the spring? I bunker chunks in the Raritan and will herring chunks work as well and do they freeze and defrost okay without becoming mush?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've never used them yet, but I have a bunch in the freezer, and I'm going to use them this year. I have heard that they work just as good as bunker. I would guess htat they would re-freeze pretty good, since they aren't really fatty like a bunker.
Either way, free bait is free bait...and besides it gets you out on the water before the spring season starts. It's pretty fun catching herring too.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
588 Posts
i guees spinfreak said all the good things about herring but i know that they work well because i used some about three weeks ago to actch and release some huge bass at the battery, just batter them with k.salt an throw them back in to the frezzer. when the herring defrost the blood will start to drip so then cut them up an let's catch some fish... cat

·
Registered
843 Posts
great bait for striper,fluke.
they are not to great on the refrig.
like cat said a little salt
package in a group of 3's then put them in a large bag.
this was it is easy to take what you need for fishing with out wasting a large bag of fish.

eddie

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Before the bass returned, we used herring (mostly whole)exclusively as bait at the Cartwright Grounds (Montauk) for bluefish. They are also excellent bait for tuna, shark, and bass. Also, try using them as strip bait for fluke. One of the best and economical shark chums I've ever used was herring skins. A tin of skins could be used again and again, provided that they were re-refrigerated.
A good tip to keeping the herring that you caught fresh is to vacuum seal them before freezing.

Capt. Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.