NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a new 2002 90hp mercury outboard. I've used it eleven times this year so far. It never turns over on the first turn of the key,at the start of the day.I first thought it might be from sitting all week , on the trailer with the motor on a 45* angle on the transom saver.Then I thought about the fuel, but I've since burned more than half a tank since I picked up the boat from the dealer. I've refilled with premium and use a marine fuel treatment in the tank. Also have a fuel water seperator in line.I also checked the battery terminals; everything good to go. Today I got her started ; ran it for about 20 minutes then anchored for an hour. It took 3 turns of the key to turn her over on the water.Any suggestions? Thanks inadvance - Bob

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a friend with the same problem 2000 90hp merc. (carb not efi) no matter what it takes at least 2-3 cranks to fire up very rarely 1. Choking and priming never seemed to help either, his is kept in water didnt mater engine up or down, new plugs or old, been in for service but NADA, also heard others with the same problem.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

I have a 87 90 merc and it takes me 3 tries unless the motor is hot. Does you merc have carbs or Fuel Injection?

I know when I do a compression test it takes 3 crankes to come up to full compression. I am not a mechanice or claim to know anything about 2 strokes but perhaps when the motor is cold you won't ignite until the cylinders reach the proper compression and fuel mix.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is consistent and always starts.

PS leaving your motor in the 45 is probably not the best. SW gets trapped inside and can't drain out. You should store it verticle or if in a slip, let it rest for a while (if possible) then tilt to get it out of the water. this will let most of the sw drain out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Prblmmslvd - It's nice to know I'm not the only one with the same problem .Capt. Marc it's an E.F.I. ; and I never thought about the compression , but it sounds logical. Once she turns over she blows a puff of smoke. That would be consistant with a build of excessive fuel in the chambers before combustion . Since every time you try to crank it the fuel injectors are dumping fuel into the cumbustion chambers and it's not igniting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.