NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after my boat sits for a day or two it is very hard to start. (70hp
johnson 2000). I dont think my choke is working, Is this an easy fix or do I need a proffessional? Thanks in advance for any help.

· Registered
632 Posts
Choke circuit

I suspect that what you have is an electric enriching solenoid. If you do, it works like a choke. The electrical circuit is a switch that is activated when you push in on the key which supplies battery voltage to a solenoid valve that is mounted next to the carburetors. There is a red plastic lever on it which can be turned between normal and maintenance/manual. when the circuit is activated fuel is directed through a couple hoses into the throat of the carburetors. First check that the lever is in the correct position, based on what your owners manual or a shop manual says. With top cowling off and the key turned to on you may be able to hear the valve click when you push the key in. If you can't here it click try putting your finger on the valve while a helper pushes in on the key to see if you can feel it operate. If you think the solenoid is working you can set the throttle to wide open, turn the key to on and have a helper push in on the switch while you look into the carburetors, possibly with a flash light, while you pump the primer bulb. You should see gas spraying into the carburetor throats. All these test should be done without cranking or starting the engine. There is a kit of parts, about 5 or 6 parts I think, that you can use to rebuild the cold start solenoid and it is pretty easy, alot easier than a carburetor.
I did one on a '93 90 hp and it took almost as long to remove and reinstall the solenoid as it did to rebuild it. If you get a good spray of fuel from the solenoid during the above test your problem is probably something else.

· Registered
841 Posts
This probably doesn't go by the book, but it sure seemed to work well when my 1996 evinrude 90 horse engine didn't kick over at first turn: Push the button that allows the throttle to advance while staying in neutral and advance it to about half throttle. Then turn the key and she should start a little easier.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

after I pump the primer bulb on the fuel line and it gets hard I try to start the engine, it either takes a long time to start or it won't start until I drain the carburetor with the drain screw on the bottom of the bowls, then it starts right up. Woodc, thanks for the reply. I will try what you said as soon as the rain lets up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.