NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Help! Too slow!

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  chucka1 
#1 ·
George,

I hate to complain, but there are times when I want to access this website and my browser times out without even downloading the homepage. Once accessed, all posts seem to download at a snail's pace, causing much frustration. I know that you are trying to rectify this situation, but I just want you to know that it actually seems to be getting worse.

Otherwise, thanks for a great site.

Gamakatsu

#6 ·
OK guy?s I know what you?re going through and I?m as frustrated as anyone about it. We?ve just been through a week of what I call ?Net ****?, leaving us at the mercy of various Internet and telephone company?s, and without getting into details it seems things have improved a bit. But this problem will not be totally resolved until we move or web services to our new location, which now looks like may not be until mid-May.

Much of this stems from the dramatic increase in visitors we?ve experienced over recent months and the increase in the use of broadband.

I appreciate your continued support of the site as we go through these growing pains and through our upgrade process.

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca
Publisher, Nor'east Saltwater

#7 ·
George,

I have a slightly different problem. I access this site from through a vpn network and my browser routinely crashes when I access the posted reports. This is the only site that does this. Can you think of any reason why this happens?

Also, I would love to be able to change the complicated password you guys gave me to one that's easier to remember. Would you kindly instruct me how to do this?

thanks.

#9 ·
Hey guys. Lighten up on George a bit will ya? This is a great site and from what I can see George manages it pretty much on his own, a major feat in and of itself. What you might not be remembering is that when you signed up and each time you access it doesn't cost you anything. Internet sites like this take a lot of time and expense to manage. This is very far removed from your one page "My Profile" AOL web page. There is content that has to be provided, postings that have to be screened, information that has to be updated and refreshed and technical problems that have to be addressed and corrected. Yeah there might be a few ads that bring in some revenue but it costs money to run a site like this. The more people that try to access it at the same time, the more bandwidth is needed to keep up with the traffic. The more bandwidth needed, the more it costs overworked George who is giving you the benefit of this forum and it's information and benefits for how much? Can you spell F-R-E-E? I know it's frustrating to be "timed out" or watch a page for what seems like forever to load but try to understand what George is faced with. Some of you mentioned MSN. I access the Internet through MSN at home...they charge me and tens of thousands (maybe even hundreds of thousands) of others $25.00 a month just to give me access to the Internet. And even with all that money, they constantly boot me, run slow, and they themselves have the same problems that George has that causes my connection to the entire internet to run slow and sites to time out when I'm trying to access them. At work I access the Internet through a T1 connection with a fairly high-powered CPU and have very little (if any) problems. Therefore, it isn't only the site that is causing us the problems. It's our ISP's and methods of connection along with our hardware and the amount of traffic on the Internet at anygiven time that also has to be given at least part of the blame. Try to access the site during other than peek times, be a little more patient, maybe even spend a little money at Georges advertisers and mention his and NOR?EAST?s name when you do. Maybe then, there would be more commercial subscribers and enough additional income to allow George to purchase more bandwidth to help the site run faster. I hope all of this helped explain the situation a bit and will enable you to try to cut George some slack here.

#10 ·
Nightcaster,

No one is bashing George and the rest of Noreast. We are simply bringing to his attention a problem that many of us have noticed getting worse. Apparently he is aware of the problem too and is working on it. That was enough on his part to let us know. A couple of the other guys seem to be experiencing an unrelated problem they are asking about. We ALL appreciate the service this site provides and are just looking to help make it as good as possible. If the site becomes too tedious to access than members, the customer base for the advertisers, may leave and we don't want that to happen. Just don't misconstrue constructive criticism as getting on the Noreast team's back, because it was not intended that way.

Chris

#11 ·
Chris,

Did I say bashing? All I said was cut him some slack. I know what he's going through and all I did was try to offer some explanation, a request for patience and a possible short-term solution. I sympathized with the posters problems. Let's not confuse "constructive criticism" with plain ole every day complaints. Constructive indicates some sort of an effort or attempt at aiding towards a solution. A complaint is...well..just that, a complaint. At the risk of invoking a Buttafuco-ism, "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's a duck"

#12 ·
OK, because Gamakatsu said he wanted to let him know that it seemed the problem was getting worse, and I as well as others stated we are using highspeed modems and are experiencing the same problem, I beleive that we were helping by giving validity to the first statement. If you don't see it that way so-be-it. George understood and didn't seem to take it as just complaining. Enjoy the site and if you think it is good now, wait until the speed issue is resolved. Then, even more people will be willing to interact.

#15 ·
OK. You guys win. I take it back. I didn?t mean anything that I thought would have caused such a "hub bub". I think that we all agree that we love the site and that George is doing the best he can with what he's got and that he's doing his best to make it better. And besides, the very last thing I need is a bunch of guys that are p**sed of at me figuring out who I am one dark night while I'm standing on some slippery rock at the end of a long jetty that vanishes into the darkness. Maybe part of the problem here is that cabin fever is taking its toll. If we were all fishing now we would be in a better frame of mind and would have fishing to occupy our time. Friends...OK?

#16 ·
OK. You guys win. I take it back. I didn?t mean anything that I thought would have caused such a "hub bub". I think that we all agree that we love the site and that George is doing the best he can with what he's got and that he's doing his best to make it better. And besides, the very last thing I need is a bunch of guys that are p**sed of at me figuring out who I am one dark night while I'm standing on some slippery rock at the end of a long jetty that vanishes into the darkness. Maybe part of the problem here is that cabin fever is taking its toll. If we were all fishing now we would be in a better frame of mind and would have fishing to occupy our time. Friends...OK?

#17 ·
I appreciate your input and we?re doing everything possible to get the problem fixed - once and for all. It appears that the culprit is actually this board as it?s eating up most of our SQL database CPU. We will be launching a bare-bones verison of our new board within the next week or so and we suspect that this will speed things up quit a bit.

I also ask that anyone experiencing any problems with the site send a message to our Nor'east Saltwater

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.